getting 2.1, want 4.1

--ENIG-ma-

ok.. i am not having a prob with my speakers, i <3 them!!!

i have 1 prob with them though, the "surround sound" speakers don't work unless i am playing a DVD with 5.1 encoding. is there a way i can make it so everyday music, games, and downloaded movies will play in 4.1?

my home theater speakers will take regular everday TV channels and play it in 5.1, why can't my speakers take 2 channel audio and try and reproduce it in 4.1

i <3 my 4.1 so much that i was gonna upgrade to the newest 5.1 promedia speakers, but if i can't hear all the potential power and sound i should be getting... what's the point of getting anything more than 2.1?

if there's some way to change this... i will seriously <3 you and never forget what you have done for my life

no way to add a center channel. you can buy another multimedia system but you will have to get a Klipsch ProMedia speaker system so that you can match timber. If you don't you probably won't even want that other speaker on because it will sound VERY off.

In all honesty, don't spend money for a 5.1 system if you just want that center speaker. It is just not worth it. Few games are 5.1 and those that are only are truly 5.1 when in the movie scenes between levels. The ProMedia 5.1 adds a better sub and a center channel and a more intuitive control pod. Music sounds best in stereo, good in 4 speaker mode and almost as good in 5 speaker mode, but unless you get a new sound card, you will HATE 5.1 music. Your card sucks at doing 5.1 audio from a stereo source. Trust me, I have that card and the day I got my 5.1's and played a CD on them, I also put a new sound card on this computer.

Keep the 4.1's and enjoy the heck out of them. Before you even THINK about getting a center speaker for 5.1, get a better sound card. If things sound good right now with that card, then save $50-100 and use that as your HiFi Savings Account!

Your ProMedia speakers, the 4.1's, have what is called a phantom center channel, as do any speakers with good imaging. With proper placement I will guarentee that at times you will believe you DO have a center channel.

I guarantee you that your ProMedia 4.1's will sound more musical and get louder than the GMX's. Everything the decoder does, your computer can do as good or better (you can do DTS decoding on your computer). The GMX is the best bet, along with the LogiTech Z-680, for console gamers. If your main interest is the computer, every other ProMedia system is as good or better. If you are a gamer on the PC, DO NOT get teh GMX as only a select few games will be in true surround sound.

alright, thx for all the help man... it sounds great, and you really put me in the right direction for future purchases

i have 1 problem now... when i changed my comp to run the 4.1... for some reason my headset jack on my soundcard doesn't work anymore. the microphone works, but the very left jack (looking at your picture http://www.soundwise.org/gethelp/images/sblive/sblive1.jpg) jsut doesn't work. i tried putting different headsets there and none work.

what could have happened?

i edited your pic... this is my setup, tell me if somethin wrong (but i tried basically all other combinations)

www.enigmadesign.org/asdff.JPG

ok, i had that setup before.. only prob is my headset mic has the mic cord plugs into the sound card and the headphones cord connects into the pod (which is too far)

what i could do is get a Y splitter and plug that into the front channel plug in my sound card so i get both the headphones and speakers on it... only prob is the headphones don't have their own volume control so they are WAY too loud