SP.B or SP.Back?

Bruce802

----------------

On 3/13/2003 10:33:57 AM Bruce802 wrote:

I have two sets of surround speakers and I was wondering if I should have the second set of surrounds configured as SP.B or SP.back or does this not make a difference?

----------------

I have a Denon AVR3802. Are your using your second set of surrounds for the rear (in a 7.1 configuration). If so, then those surrounds must be set to SP.Back. Are you going to use those speakers as a second pair of side surrounds, as in one pair of WDST for movies and a second pair of full-range monopoles for music, with the ability to switch between them? If so, then set those speakers to SB.B.

Also, make sure the speakers are hooked up to the correct binding posts or preamp output on the rear of the reciever for the given application.

skonopa,

I currently have the surrounds on SP.A and SP.B. And I guess you could say I am using them as a second set of surrounds I do not have them hooked up to the SP.backs. I was wondering if I should have them configured as SP.A and SP.backs so I can take advantage of 6.1 movies. And if I have them configured that way will the SP.backs be matrix when watching a 5.1 movie? Also I have them hooked to the binding post for the configuration I have now.

My main question is would I be better off having my second set of surrounds hooked up to the SP.b or SP.back.

Bruce

----------------

On 3/14/2003 11:02:37 AM Bruce802 wrote:

skonopa,

I currently have the surrounds on SP.A and SP.B. And I guess you could say I am using them as a second set of surrounds I do not have them hooked up to the SP.backs. I was wondering if I should have them configured as SP.A and SP.backs so I can take advantage of 6.1 movies. And if I have them configured that way will the SP.backs be matrix when watching a 5.1 movie? Also I have them hooked to the binding post for the configuration I have now.

My main question is would I be better off having my second set of surrounds hooked up to the SP.b or SP.back.

Bruce

----------------

The only advantage to having your surrounds hooked up and set as SP.B is to give you a second set of surrounds that you can switch on and off as needed, say WDST for movies and Monopoles for music. Unless that is what you want to do, than leave them as is.

Now, if you want full 6.1 or 7.1 setup, than hook them up as SP.Back.

Personally, I'd try and use them as the back surrounds (SP.Back) just giving a 7.1 setup (since you appear to have a pair of RB-3s, not a single one). For 5.1 movies, you can set it to matix the rear speaker(s), and the Denon seems to do a nice job of it.

I hooked up the SP.B surrounds for the simple fact that I had an extra set of towers from my old HT setup (Infinity RS2000.5), than got an excellent deal on a pair of RF-5s. No point letting perfectly good set of speakers go to waste, eh?