WIRING ?

Iceman

I have a pair of subs in my car and I think I wired them incorrectly. I might have wired the positive end to the negative terminal and vice versa. They are fuctioning, but they sound quiet and lack high end output. Is it possible for them to operate when wired improperly? The wires are clear so I can't tell which is which. Thank you for your time

Michael,

They would work, but they would lack punch. What happens is when the wires a reversed, the current causes the speaker to pull in when it should be pushing out, and vice versa. So when the sub should punch, it actually pushes the air into the box, giving you a muffled sound.

What you are experiencing is phase cancellation. Low frequencies are omnidirectional and have very long wavelengths. When two or more woofers or subwoofers are reproducing the same signal, if they are out of phase ( polarity ) they will cancel each other out resulting in weak bass response. Reverse one pair of wires and give it a try. You should now be rewarded with deep, full bass.

Iceman,

You can use a little battery to momentarily see which way the woofers move. If they both move the same direction (in or out) then they are in phase. A little touch from the battery and they will jump one way or the other. Do this at the crossover or at the wires leading to the woofers from the crossover. Obviously the amp should be OFF OFF and OFF.