KTSW Subwoofer Help

cranked

The KT-SW is a THX certified sub, specs are as follows:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-250Hz±3dB

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator

AMPLIFIER POWER: 200 watts maximum continuous (252 watts peak)

LOW PASS CROSSOVER: Fixed 250Hz (THX processor will x-over @ 80Hz)

INPUTS: 2) Line level RCA phono jacks and 2) High level speaker terminals

OUTPUTS: 2) Line level RCA phono jacks (fixed 80Hz HP - 6dB/octave slope) and 2) High level speaker terminals (fixed 120Hz HP - 6dB/octave slope)

PHASE: Switchable 0 or 180 degrees

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Subwoofer system using one 15" (38.1cm) front-firing, fiber-composite cone woofer and one 15" (38.1cm) rear-firing, fiber-composite cone passive radiator

SUBWOOFER: K-35-KV 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-18-K 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 26" (66cm) x 18.5" (47cm) x 19.56" (49.7cm)

WEIGHT: 82 lbs. (37.2kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Whitewash, Light Oak, Medium. Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Black Satin

YEARS BUILT: 1994 - 1997

Synergy SeriesReference SeriesHeritageContractor SeriesClassicPresentation ProductsInstalled ProductsPortable ProductsStage MonitorsAll Weather ProductsCinema/TheatreProMedia SystemsAccessoriesProcessorsPreamplifiersAmplifiersAccessories

Hi, I've owned one of those subs for over 3 years now... It is fabulous for home theater, as long as you understand that it won't play down into the lowest octave of bass... (The design causes it roll off below 30 Hz). In it's stated frequency range it is easily able to achieve dolby reference level (> 105 DB) at by listening position even in a very large room. In other words, it can really pound from 30 to 90 hz.

It is significantly more powerful and better constructed than the klipsch down firing subs that followed it. I haven't heard it compared to the new reference 15 sub, but I think that the new sub would probably go a bit lower, and may be tighter for music. Not sure if the new reference 15 has the volume output of the old design though.

For reasonable price I'd highly recommend it if you are on a budget. Be aware though that the 15 " driver and passive radiator won't be the best at reproducing bass music... It's not what I would call a "Fast" or "Tight" sub.

See if the store will let you buy it, and then return it after 24 hours if there are any problems with the sub, or if you really don't like it.

They let me take it home and it appears the passive radiator is damaged, bad crackling/buzzing. The driver is fine. Took radiator out and it appears to have some sort of glue or plster on the back. May look into replacement driver because your right it does pound.