RP-3's and a sub.......need some advice

launch1

Hey all,

I was searching back through the posts a while ago and saw a string saying that you should not use a sub with the RP-3's?? and that the RF-3s are better with a seperate Sub. my question is, (noone brought this up) What if you hooked up the RP-3's to the left and right preouts on your reciever to the RCA connectors labeled "line in" on the RP-3's amp. Since you aren't using the sub preout on your reciever for the signal going into the RP-3s LFE input how could they interfere??? The seperate sub would reproduce the ".1" of 5.1 DTS/DD and the subs in the RP-3s would just add more life to the music ect. coming out of the left and right channels.

Any comments opinions?? I really think the Sub in the RP-3/5's are great! they add more depth to the music in 2 channel (as long as you don't turn them up to much!!)

Thanks,

Scott

launch1, you might check my post in the Technical Questions forum/"BIG IMPROVEMENT-WHY!".I'm not familiar with the RP-3's but I use my powered speakers with two separate subs.Remember that anyone can recite theory.I

personally do not listen to theory.Say,right now, to yourself T-H-E-O-R-Y.Now say R-E-A-L-I-T-Y.Sound differently,huh!

Keith

TTK is right on - let your ears/environment decide. Also, be aware that there is actually relatively little content in the .1 (LFE) channel on a DVD soundtrack. If you dedicate a sub strictly to the .1, it won't see much action. Most of the bass my sub works on is pulled out of the other 5 channels. In R-E-A-L-I-T-Y, I think you will end up with a mix of all the bass going to both the RP-3s and a sub (if you get one) and you'll need to balance their levels and crossovers to avoid bass cancellation.

yea, ditto dougd exactly on the bass cancellation - could be a problem w/ room distortion. but hey go for it & tinker around w/ the sub placement/crossover/set-up & bass mgmt settings & it could work.

i'd definitely get a bigger or louder sub like the new rsw or an 18" to go w/ rp.

& just hook them all up to the sub preouts probably best (depends on your receiver).

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I already have a sub... My reciever is a Yamaha RXV-800 and it has preouts for all 6 channels ...I guess I don't understand that the .1 channel doesn't see much action? doesn't everybody hook up there sub to the sub/LFE out on your reciever?? I always here my sub workin'.... Isn't the sub out on your reciever the .1 channel?? and I use my preouts for the left and right channel for the amp on my RP-3s (the high level outs still go to the mids/highs) and the sub or LFE preout on the Yammy goes to my Sub. (Cerwin Vega LS-12)

Can anyone describe what signals go to the LFE preout on my reciever? I always thought this was the .1 channel?

Thanks a bunch!

Launch

i originally had rp-5 & no sub. many ways to hook-up.

this attached LFE.pdf may help...

if u hook the rp main preouts to line ins (if u do that u want to remove the gold straps & still connect the high posts main speaker level) & hook that sub to the sub preout, like you said, only the sub will get LFE.

i think i'd prefer to have all 3 subs going for those LFEs.

then most likely when u play a music cd, you'll have to manually turn the sub off or else you'll get low bass to all 3 subs.

i.e., if u set mains to small, your rp subs then don't get the low bass.

if u set low bass to go to sub only, your rp subs don't get the low bass again.

if u set low bass to go to front+sub, then all 3 subs get the low bass.

keith may know best as he has done this w/ those ksp. keith: don't know on the ksp, but the rp have an unfiltered LFE in & an LFE out

as well as a filtered Line in & a Line out. the powered sub sections are independent - only connected to the high drivers by way of the speaker wire or those gold straps. just fyi in case.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

So let me get this right??? The RP-3's line in is unfiltered? My RXV-800 has all 6 channels in preout (low level RCA) format. I run the MAIN right and left channels to the line in RCA on my RP-3's Amp. So what you are saying is that the main right and left preouts don't send the full spectrum of frequencies or in other words they don't send below 120 Hz? Its crossed over inside my reciever?

Maybe I should try hooking up my RP's from the LFE out on my reciever to the LFE in on the RP's and then from the LFE out on the RP's finally on to the Sub like you said. One question though, do you think the signal integrity would be affected at all?? seems like an awful lot of connections and such for a low level line, Just curious if there is some kind of repeater or booster in the RP's amp??

Man I know this is a lot of questions, but like it says by my name, I am a newbie and I'm just trying to fully understand all this!!

OOh and thanks for that attachment very helpful.

the rp line ins are filtered & the LFE in are

nonfiltered. so if u use the yam main preouts(nonfiltered) u would want to connect those to the line ins (filtered). if u use the sub outs(filtered) u want to connect those to the LFE ins(nonfiltered).

the bass management of the yam can in effect

filter the lower bass out of the main preouts

(like when u set fronts to small).

i'd go the sub outs to lfe ins/daisy chain route & try to get the subs to jive together w/ the least amount of room/phase distortion.