Leok, TriPath question

jnorv

I think I have found a source for tripath products. Now I have to decide which one to get. I am leaning towards the 2020 (2x10 watts) because it runs at 13.5 volts and I can run it off of a standard 12v car battery, rather than the 2024 which runs at 12 volts. Any advice?

Jim N

• 11 months later...

Jim,

One big advantage of the TA2020 is that it is a thru-hole part.

As far as voltage: Both parts have an absolute max voltage rating of 16V. Operating max for the TA2024 is 13.2V. For the 2020 it's 14.6V. These voltages are all accurate in that the chips will operate at the max operating Voltages, withstand an occasional 16V surge, but will probably self destruct if operated for any length of time at something like 15V.

The reason I use the smaller smt parts is 1) I'm actually interested in the lowest power possible and 2) I am using smt pc board technology to keep the circuit as small as possible for noise reduction. If I were building just a few of these I'd go with the TA2020.

Leo

Jim,

If you ever decide to, there's an electrolytic cap supplying power to each set of output "switches." You can add a parallel capacitance of 10x whatever there is there (for the two caps). It'll tighten up the bass.

The demo boards are very well done, and quite a bargain.

Leo