New System need advice! KSW-12 Hookup

Razorback

Ok everyone, have gotten alot of great tips from all of the people on the board and I can tell there is alot of knowledge out there and I need to tap into it if I can. I am building a new house and have purchased alot of new components including Klipsch RC-3, RCR-5 (in ceiling for rear surround), a KSW-12 sub and a new Onkyo TX-DS575X. This is all going with my existing front speakers which are Klipsch Tangent 400's I have owned for a long time now. I emailed Onkyo about the sub-out on the 575X and they wrote back and let me know that this reciever has an 80 HZ filter on the sub-out. My plans are to hook the sub to the preout jack on the reciever with a Y adapter. This is my first sub and am really new as far as this goes. How should i set my front, center, and rear speakers up as far as Small or Large? What about the switches on the sub? Over 80Hz? Any advice would be much appreciated! Am very much looking forward to getting this system into the new house and started up!! Thanks again.........

Razorback

Razorback,

Just some general things I've picked up thus far (I'm somewhat new to this also, still trying to get it "right"):

As far as the the "size" you specify for your speakers, seems to be a personal preference (and what they are capable of producing). I am running all my speakers as "small" (connected via Sub Out), since none of my speakers are capable of producing low frequencies. (I have a Denon reciever, and they recommend the "small" setting unless the speakers are capable of being flat to 20hz).

The sub settings itself are also a personal preference. If the Onkyo is handling the bass management, you might set the filter on the Sub to 120hz (so the filters don't "stack"), but ultimately just adjust it to what sounds best to you.

Room placement is very important also, you may have to spend some time moving the sub around the room, until you find the "optimal" placement. The Phase switch can also play a part here.

Good luck,

Domain

-----

SF-1

SC-1

SS-1

KSW-12

Denon AVR-2801

Thanks Domain, I appreciate the help. I am pretty sure that the Tangent 400's can handle the bass but not positive. I will just play with them when i get everything hooked up and see what sounds best as far as setting them to Large or Small. Thanks again for the advice!!

Razorback