Nice Bookshelf Speakers for under $200 a pair?

Nighthawk

Hi all..

I know all of you are Klipsch fans, and so am I, but as of now I cannot afford their great line of products. So, my question is, do any of you have recommendations on nice bookshelf speakers for mains that cost less than $200 for a pair? They will be used mainly for music and maybe once in a while home theater. They will also be used for mains, probably on stands eventually.

Also, whatever I go with, I would like it to have nice matching rear surrounds for the same price and maybe even a center channel.

Thank you very much for any input you may have!

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

If you are open to buying used, you can get some nice Klipsch bookshelf speakers for under $200 off e-bay. Look for KG2 (I think there's an Oak pair on Ebay right now), maybe KG3 (but KG3 might a little large for bookshelf - depends on your definition). A good matching center would be a KV-2 (also used). You could also use KG2 for rears, or buy a set of SS-1s for rears. They show up on e-bay NIB sometimes from people who are clearing them out.

One thing about buying used Klipsch's -- they don't hardly depreciate so you can usually sell them for about what you paid for them.

Doug

Hi there...

I took a look at those speakers.. they are nice, but I'm not really into buying used smile.gif

Though, it looks like this summer I may be able to get some older Infinity speakers from my dad for fronts that have 5.5" woofers in 'em (these were from before Infinity was bought out by a company and now they have lesser products?). So, my question now is, what should I match those with for rears and a center? My price range is still the same.. about $200-300 for the rears and about $150-200 for a center. I would like to get everything here matched as closely as possibly for sound.

Thanks for any help again! I appreciate it!

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

I can understand you might be uneasy about buying used, but what exactly is your concern?

Also, you indicated that you'd be willing to take a pair of used JBL's from your Dad... smile.gif

If you CAN get comfortable with used, you will definitely get a lot more bang for the buck than ANYTHING new out there for under $200.

For new, check out the Klipsch System 6 on the web page, under Home Audio. The speakers that make up that system all match so they will sound good together, and can be purchased individually (well, in pairs for the front and rear, anyway) and you can get a different sub. I think you can find the SB-1's for less than $200 if you check around a bit. Those also have 5.5" woofers, and are matched to the others in that system.

Hey there...

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

I was actually just contacted by someone from this board who has some KSB 3.1's and 1.1's for the main and rears for sale (boxed and factory sealed) which he has a good deal on, so it looks like I will be getting Klipsch afterall! smile.gif

Thanks for your input and assistance again, I really apprecaite it and I will look into products on eBay and such in the future (maybe for the matching center channel to these speakers).

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire