Progressive Scan DVD Player

kmijeski

I need some technical advice:

I recently bought a new JVC progressive scan DVD player from a wholesale club.

I hooked it up last night to my HDTV (with progressive scan option)

I could not tell much of a calrity difference between the normal resolution and the progressive scan resolution. In fact, It appers as though the non progressive scan picture seems to have brighter colors and more distuinguished red colors.

Is there suppossed to be a more noticable difference?

I have been told that 3:2 pull down is good, and the particular DVD player I purchased does not state that it has 3:2 pull down capability. - I am not sure if this is an additional feature or if all progressive scan DVD players use this.

I have been told that 3:2 pull down is good to have.

Please provide me with any advice. Thank you

Wow,

I didn't expect such a response - (just kidding).

I guess this may have chosen the wrong forum to post this one.

Anyway, for those who are interested, I did more research on the internet and the player I purched does have 3:2 pull down (this may be a standard for progressive scan DVD players.?).

What I did as far as the brightness of the colors (specifically the reds), was I adjusted the sharpness, tint, contrast etc on the DVD menu to compensate for the difference.

The differences between progressive scan (480p - interpolating to 720 lines of resolution on an HD capable TV)and interlaced (480i normal view) initially appeared to be minor. After viewing a few scenes from various movies, I was able to notice some clarity differences between the two resolutions.

One extremely noticeable difference was on the movie The Thomas Crown Affair - with Pierce Brosnan. As he holds up the newspaper after Rene Russo's character spent the night with him at his NY apartment.

The lines of text on the newspaper on normal mode were extremely pixelated and larger than scale. With progressive playback, the lines of text looked more real and to scale.

In the same movie when the glider lands in a cow pasture when viewed with mormal mode, the outline of the white glider seem jagged or like small stair steps. While viewing this seen in progressive mode, the outline of the glider appears smooth.

Just thought I would give you guys something to look at.

Additional comments, suggestions are welcome

hold on now-there are some video-savvy peeps here1.gif

1st: are you using component video(rgb)cable for your video connection? if not,then you are NOT getting progressive scan output. you may have a switch or menu option you must select progressive scan with as well.

2nd: i don't have progressive scan because my 36xbr450 has a decent up-converter that makes 480i into 960i. some tv up-converters may do a better job than 480p.

component video should give the deepest and truest colors.

you MUST use component(3) video cable.

avman.

AVman

Thanks for responding

I am using component video connections.

My TV may be similar is similar to the XBR you are refering to, but it does not state the up conversion process.

I can select Interlaced or progressive on my TV menu. Would this make a difference? I tried several different settings and the boldest colors came from the non progressive signal. The sharpest image came from the progressive scan signal.

On the actual DVD player, there is a switch which I can select the 480i or 480p output. There are also different menu settings where I can choose film or video source. Which should I choose? Does this make a difference?