Peak indicator in marantz sr5300.. what? why? when?

tecsanto

Hi Everybody,

I am Ki, living in India, a proud owner of a pair of RF-3IIs ( => am a newbie, who has just began the holy journey 12.gif !).

I have recently bought the Marantz SR5300 receiver to feed the RF-3IIs (solely in stereo mode 9.gif ), replacing my old Marantz PM-54 MkII. Everything was going fine, until I noticed that the PEAK LED in the receiver is appearing even at medium volumes (-10 db 7.gif), when I am playing through CD Analog input, and when the unit is heated up. The LED doesnt appear, when unit is cold, even at high volumes. Also it doesnt appear, when unit is switched to source direct mode, even at high volumes (10db) and high temperature 11.gif!

There was no mention of this PEAK LED in the manual 7.gif ! Is this LED some sort of clipping indicator or does it mean that the output voltage of my CD-Player is higher than what is expected by the receiver? If so, why does the LED appear, only at high temperature?

NOTE: The unit is properly connected, ventilated and no wire strands are touching the receiver chassis.

Any information regarding this problem would be highly appreciated!

Three cheers,

Ki (male 9.gif).

Hello Ki and welcome to the forum. This is the third time I've typed this up since I keep getting phone calls which knock me off line and deletes what I have typed, so here goes. I have the MARANTZ SR7000 receiver which has the same peak indicator situation that you have. Don't worry,what you are experiencing sound normal. I had the same basic experience. I quote from the manual(This indicator is a monitor for an analog audio input signal. If the selected audio input signal is greater than the capable level of internal processing, the indicator will light. If this happens, you should press the ATT button.) I use the optical inputs on the receiver which eliminates the peak indicator from lighting. Hope this helps you.

Tom

Phew! Thanks Tom.. Thanks again lot for your repeated effort 2.gif !

I am very much relieved now.. thanks to your answer 9.gif !

My guess was right 11.gif ! The peak LED indeed indicates the analog input's level! I kind of understand, as of why it should not appear, when the ATT button is switched on but why the hell doesn't it appear when i switch to source-direct is what I do not understand. Does that mean that the power amp, which is present in the receiver can take in any input voltage? 7.gif

Optical inputs? We kind of only *hear* of such things in India 15.gif .. so I guess I will have to content, by switcting it to either ATT or Source-direct mode! 8.gif

Anyway, Tom, tell me.. is it okay to drive the receiver upto (+10db) continously? If it clips.. how will I ever know? Will it shut off automatically, if it clips?

Best regards,

Ki.

Hello Ki,

If your amp clips it may shut down, I'm not sure. I never have driven mine into clipping. If it overheats it should shut down. I've never went past +6 over the reference level. I think my receiver is a higher wattage model than yours just going by model number. This may account for the levels we are playing at. Also, speaker efficiency has a great effect on this also. A 90db/watt rated speaker will require twice the wattage that a 93db/watt rated speaker does to play at the same level. I don't know if you have Klipsch speakers or not, but if you do you are reaching some pretty high levels of sound. If not, you may need to check into some, as they are among the most efficient speakers out there. It is their Forte if your know what I mean. I had KLF 10's and rarely played them past the +3. I don't think the peak light has anything to do with the amp output, only input. I hope this helps. If I have bad info here, hopefully someone will jump in with the right info. I hope this helps you.

Tom

As it was stated, the peak indicator lights up when using an analog input that has a higher voltage than the receiver is designed to use. My sr4200 has one, but again, i'm using thet optical inputs, so I don't have a problem. But running the receiver up to +10db ?! Wow, party on, dude ! That's like near 118 db !