Promedia for Home Theatre

clayk

I have a newbie question. Is it OK to use promedia DD-5.1 for a home theatre system. I have cable and a DVD player. The DVD has optical output.

Do I need an extra amp, Home theatre receiver, or something else to make a good setup?

Or is this just a bad idea and I should try something else.

Your help is appreciated.

Would you be buying a second set to use as a HT? Or using your existing set. Either way it really isn't ideal. If you are looking for a low budget home theater but still want to stay with klipsch, get a couple of quintets a cheap reciever and a ksw10. You can usually get the quintets real cheap on ebay and ubid. The KSW10 can also be har for under $300. Anyway, you'd be spending a bit more, but would be much better off. Remember, the PMs are a quality computer speaker, not a HT speaker set. big difference.

----------------

On 5/20/2003 10:24:55 AM jzoz01 wrote:

Would you be buying a second set to use as a HT? Or using your existing set. Either way it really isn't ideal. If you are looking for a low budget home theater but still want to stay with klipsch, get a couple of quintets a cheap reciever and a ksw10. You can usually get the quintets real cheap on ebay and ubid. The KSW10 can also be har for under $300. Anyway, you'd be spending a bit more, but would be much better off. Remember, the PMs are a quality computer speaker, not a HT speaker set. big difference.

----------------

Hello,

I also had the idea to use Promedia 2.1s with my TV (with Digital Cable), DVD, and VCR. I connected all the equipment to a Denon AVR682 receiver. The speakers are connected to a non-powered out using a y- connector. This setup works great if I want to watch Digital Cable TV. Where it falters is with the VCR and DVD. I get great sound with the VCR and the DVD, but at only one volume setting way too loud. I am assuming the problem is that the VCR and the DVD do not have their own volume control and that because the speakers are connected to a non-powered jack on the Denon, the Denon does not provide any volume control either. So, I tried connecting the speakers to the TV (it is a stereo TV), but oddly, I had the same problem. This time it is because the TVs volume control becomes disabled when speakers are connected to the rear. And furthermore, this setup led to a substantial amount of noise from the speakers dictating a high volume to mask. I then tried to connect the TV audio out to the Denon and then to the speakers. This produced the same scenario as connecting directing to the TV.

So, what device can I use in this setup that will allow me to control the volume of the speakers with all the equipment using a universal remote control?

The DD 5.1 seems to be promising; I am just not clear as to how the volume is controlled.

This is the way I have mine setup so that you can picture how it looks.

I have a B&K AV6125 amplifier.

The DD 5.1 has it's Front L & R, Rear L & R channels going to 4 channels of the amp. I only have 4 speakers.

My DVD player uses the COAX Dig input.

My XBOX uses the Optical Dig input.

My PS2 uses the Line 1.

My GameCube uses the Aux 1.

My VCR uses the Aux 2.

I have a Radio Shack 4 in 2 out video selector.

SVideo out goes to my TV. Composite is converted to SVideo.

My DVD player uses SVideo Input 1.

My VCR uses Composite Input 1.

My PS2 uses SVideo Input 2.

My XBOX uses SVideo Input 3.

My GameCube uses Composite Input 4.

I have a HTM MX-500 remote.

The volume button for TV works the TV volume.

The volume button for DVD, VCR, PS2, XBOX, and GameCube works the Klipsch DD 5.1.

If you juggle remotes then the DD 5.1 remote will work the volume for all devices except TV.

Here's a trick. The DD 5.1 can save presets for 4 things. So for DVD I load 1 COAX, for XBOX I load 2 Opt, for PS2 I load 3 Line 1, and for GameCube I load 4 Aux 1. For VCR I load 4 Aux 1 and bump the input up to Aux 2. This makes my inputs like direct select buttons.

Hope this helps.

Doug