JVC HM-DH30000U High Definition VCR

Dafishguy

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I've been on the board... Been real busy with other things. I have to relay my total enthusiasm at the beauty of the picture produced by this VCR. If you have had a chance to watch HDTV yet then you know what potential this machine has for producing exceptional quality pictures. HDTV has much better definition than DVD and twice the color clarity for pictures that seem to jump off the screen like nothing you've seen before. I know, you're all saying VCR??? TAPE??? why would I go backwards in technology and leave my beloved DVD with instant scene access and extras for a 25 year old format?? This is an extremely good question. One that I ask myself until I saw the quality this machine produced. Also, it just happens to be the only HDTV solution for Hollywood movies available to you and me... Joe consumer until the much anticipated and greatly delayed HD-DVD format is released. (Don't hold your breath) When I grab a tape I shake my head in disbelief that it couild be better than my DVD's but it is vastly superior in picture quality and about the same quality as DD 5.1 is from a DVD.

Believe it... You can get HDTV quality for less than a quality DVD player will cost and for now, is the only way to watch Hollywood High Definition content when you want it.

If you have been waiting for a reason to invest in this new (old) technology that is HDTV, then this is the way to do it. Once you see the quality, you will very quickly forget you're watching a tape.

Just my humble opinion.

Take care

Rick

we taped(via firewire(ONLY-DARN!)from a set-top off-air digital tuner)the masters golf tourney that was brodcast in hd. WOW!!! we use it to demo hd sets in our showroom.

MORE WOW!!!-metallica in concert-on d-theater pre-re tape.

i've seen varying levels of hd picture quality, this is in the top 10%

VERY nice machine, i'd have one NOW if i could record hd via component input.

avman.

I hear ya avman,

This is actually the second one I've had... I took the first one back specifically because it didn't have component in. I have since learned how to record HD without it although, component in would make life a whole lot easier. Damn copy protection fanatics... they make life very complicated to say the least.

I will be very happy with my HD-VCR until HD-DVD comes along. At least I can enjoy my HD content and record HD content off satellite when I want.

Rick

Where do you guys get these D-VHS pre-recorded tapes. I know only a couple of places like JVC D-Theater site and if I remeber correctlu "smitech" web site that carried a few of those movies. The selection there is almost non-existent, and a handful of movies available there are crap in terms of content, IMHO.

You mentioned Metallica concerts, and I heard elsewhere about other pre-recorded tapes but cannot find decent places to buy them from. And they prices are .... ouch .... typically around $35. Man this hurts.

Try going here. I buy all mine from here. http://www.dvhsmovieguide.com/dvhsrev/Action.Lasso?-Token=105669&-Database=DVHSreview.fp3&-Layout=Main%20Data%20Entry&-Response=althitlist.lasso&-operator=eq&Order%20Type=Order&-Sortfield=Title&-Sortorder=Ascending&-Search

I know $35 sounds bad for tape but remember, this is Hi-Def and I'm sure HD-DVD will be more expensive to buy than regular DVD which will be available even after HD-DVD comes out. Expect to pay double for Hi-Def content. Just the way it seems to be right now.

Take care

Rick