dolby pro-logic II (that's two)

avman

just received two new integra ss receivers- the dtr 5.2 and 6.2. they have dolby pro logic 2 which can take ANY stereo source and derive 5 channels out!might be interesting to listen to music that way- i am a two-channel music guy, but i've liked alot of songs in 5 ch stereo-adcom had a pre-amp 5 or 6 years ago that was my first 5 ch. music experience. not bad! i still have to check out more on dpl-2, but i want to get the word out. avman

Those are the exact two receivers I am considering. I have heard nothing but positive reviews on DPL II. I would be interested to hear your opinion on the sound quality in 2-channel (as well as surround) from both recievers. I had borrowed an Integra 5.1 receiver a few months back and really like the sound but It seemed a little lacking in bass punch (without a sub).

• 4 weeks later...

well---not bad!! played the "ZF-1" scene from 5th element. some weird effects thru the fronts i thought should come from the back.good clarity on the spent cartriges hitting the ground. good overall performance so far... need to listen to some music. 'til then-jury undecided

I'm not 100% sure yet, but it looks like DPL-II may be just the development this old boy has been looking for - a high-quality standardized means of playing back my hundreds of 2-channel CDs through a multichannel system. A method of deriving a L + R summed signal to feed a center speaker, and (hopefully) just a user adjustable delay and reverb tweeked surround feed. And most importantly - untouched L and R front channels.

I too would love to hear what everybody who gets a receiver or pre/pro so equipped has to say about DPL-II.

------------------

JDMcCall

• 2 months later...

found this review interesting. may have to upgrade again if this can make those 2 channel movies on digital cable sound any better. cwm14.gif

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/dolby-prologic2-3-2001.html

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!