difference bet. balanced and unbalanced pre amp or processor.

danechristian

what is the difference bet ween the two? pls help me out. im trying to learn some new stuff.

and also at the back of my amp. there are amp inputs such as center LF RF.......< i know what those were. thing is what about the other switch? the one w/c looks like u have to put a plug.

they were placed beside or below every pre amp input.. ty

Unbalanced is used in most home gear. It is your typical RCA plug. The signal is on one wire, and the return path is the ground. Thus unbalanced: the ground is always 0 volts and the main conductor is what handles the signal. It works fine for most applications. The interconnect wires are coaxial, with the ground acting as a shield to reduce noise getting to the signal wire. The input impedance of these is usually in the 20,000 to 100,000 ohm range.

balanced connection is where you have 2 separate signal conductors PLUS a ground shield. It is used mainly in pro gear because it has the best ability to send a signal over longer distances with minimal noise. You also see this alot on microphones since they produce a very low signal. Also most balanced systems have lower input impedance, on the order of 500 to 2000 ohms or so in order to reduce the noise.

This is a brief description without getting too technical.

Why do you ask. If you describe the application, perhaps I can give you more help!