quintet + dd 5.1 decoder?

cyclones22

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased the quintets + ksw10. I also have a promedia dd 5.1 preamp. I'm new to this home theater thing, so my question is will that preamp be enough to power the quintet system? Do I need another receiver/amp to power it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cyclones22

You will need some kind of amplifier to power the Quintets. The ProMedia DD5.1 was a pre-amp before the ProMedia's built in amplifier. Unfortunatly, stand-alone amplifiers can be pretty expensive if bought brand new. You might find some decent used amplifiers on eBay or Audiogon for a decent price. You will need a 5-channel amplifier or 5 single channel amps (monoblocks in tech-speak).

Thanks for the response. Would it just be wiser to return the dd-5.1 and buy a new HT receiver that has built in 100 watt amplification per channel? I noticed the specs for the quintet satellites were 100 watt max power. Those HT receivers seem to run anywhere from $200 on up. Btw, I live in an apartment so the quintet is about as big as I'm going to go until I buy a house.

Thanks again,

cyclones22

skonopa -- you just had to bring up the "B" brand, didn't you? That's ok, I still have a girlish little giggle when I hear my friends who own Bose systems talk about how super their speakers are. But you are very correct: the Quintets embarass the Bose and a decent HT receiver will do fine -- just set the crossover relatively high, like around 120.

Yes, the H/K AVR225 should be an excellent reciever for the price and will work nicely for the Quintets. That should give you a very nice compact system that will crush any typical HTiB (Home-Theater in a Box) setup, including the Bose.

----------------

On 6/14/2003 10:36:55 AM Jabez Scratch wrote:

skonopa -- you just had to bring up the "B" brand, didn't you? That's ok, I still have a girlish little giggle when I hear my friends who own Bose systems talk about how super their speakers are. But you are very correct: the Quintets embarass the Bose and a decent HT receiver will do fine -- just set the crossover relatively high, like around 120.

----------------

I know, I know, 11.gif but I just wanted to make it a point that you can get a very nice, but inexpensive, setup that will sound an order of magnitude better than the overpriced Bose crap, but still be just as sleek and stylish. I'd be willing to bet that 'Cyclone22' did not spend more than a $1300 or so for the Quintets, Subwoofer, and H/K AVR225. I am assuming he already has a DVD player, but if not, he could find a decent one for less than $200. Still, that setup he has will easily blow away a Bose Lifestyle 30 setup that costs around $3000, not to mention he'll have plenty of options for upgradebility without having to replace the entire system as with a Bose Lifestyle setup! I have done a Quintets vs Bose cube listening test at Best Buy, and in my opinion, the Quintets were the hands-down winner in both clarity and loudness as well as detail.

BTW, did you ever get your friends to listen to your setup? That would be funny to see how thier opinion of the Bose will change afterwords!

Thanks for all the advice and comments, all. Felt a lot more confident making the purchase yesterday.

Yes, I didn't spend that much. The quintets+ksw10 cost me $400 (in-law hooked me up 9.gif . The H/K cost me $300 and I bought a nice dvd player for $300 as well. To think, a Bose 3-2-1 cost about the same.

I can't wait for my quintets to come in so I can experience some quality sound.

Again, thanks for all the help!

cyclones22

----------------

On 6/14/2003 10:45:33 PM cyclones22 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice and comments, all. Felt a lot more confident making the purchase yesterday.

cyclones22

----------------

Excellent! Glad to be of some help. When you get it all up and running, let us know what you think. Yeah, that should be a nice little system, plus in the future, as you desire, you can easily upgrade the speakers, and so forth.

You will really enjoy the Quintets -- I think they are best known/respected for their abaility to fill up a room, despite their size. And the KSW-10 has received high-praise from all over. Initially, when I got my Reference system, I kept the KSW-10 hooked up and the bass was very smooth yet powerful. Enjoy!