Audible Distortion from KSF C5

kmijeski

Hello guys

I am noticing some audible distorion from my center channel. I notice it when dialogue gets loud - such as if someone yells or raises their voice in the movie. The distortion appears to be less when I change the center channel setting on my amp from large to small, however it is stil audible. The distorion is also still audible when I select "no center channel" - meaning all dialogue comes from both left and right speakers. The distotion is most noticeable from the center channel. Other than voices like I mentioned, there is not audible distortion at all.

Could there be an issue with my amp?

Is it possible for the soundtrack of the DVDs I have been watching to be recorded "too hot"? Should I invest in monster cable for my coax digital out from my DVD player?

Should I run my center channel down to the service center so they can open her up to see if there is a damaged coil or a small tear in a diaphram?

I am bewildered. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This distortion you speak of comes from the mains when you say center-no so I doubt there's a problem with your center speaker. Set it to small, though, 'cause it's not a full range speaker and you don't want bass going to it. You may also check your receiver for a setting called "Cinema EQ" or something like that. You want to turn it OFF - or whatever setting does NOT boost treble by 10db. The intent of this setting is to get the highs to be able to be heard through a movie screen and it might be overdriving it in your case.

Also, just be sure you have the channel levels calibrated so they all are at the same volume relative to your viewing position, using the pink noise generator of the receiver or a HT calibration disk like Avia or Sound & Vision Home Theater Tuneup.

I think... :)

DD

That you still hear the distortion when you set the system to "no center channel" is very odd. You did not specify what model Yamaha receiver you are using. It's possible you are hearing amplifier distortion rather than having the same problemm with all 3 front speakers. I don't believe changing any cables will make the difference you seek.

The model Yamaha receiver I have is the 5150. I think it is rated at 75 watts per channel - although I probably never use those.

Is there anything I can do to "test" the receiver short of taking it to a service center?

In the mean time, I will hook up my center to an inexpensive Sherwood receiver that my wife uses to assess the distortion coming from the KSF C5.

I will also hook up a cheap center channel to the Yamaha to assess any distorion coming from it on the other receiver.

Question - If I isolate the distorion to my receiver, is there anything I can do about it considering the cost of repair?

Thanks for you feedback.

In part the answer depends on whether the distortion is a 'broken' receiver or just that its output is insufficient for your needs. Does the distortion happen even at lower volume? Does the system play loud enough for you when you are at not more than 60% full volume?

Bob - Thanks for your response

I usually listen to movies at a moderate level. I have not measured the sound level or the watts used. By comparison to an older receiver on stereo, I would assume I would be using less than 3 watts continuous on average. Considering this is at 96 dB for the fronts speaker array.

I don't know what full volume is, short of slightly less than clipping(which I don't think I have never done). I occasionally "crank up the volume" where the volume control may be pointing at 11 o'clock (I am not sure if that means much). I never increase the volume to 12 o'clock.

And yes, the "distortion" appears even at lower volume levels - it is not only when I am crankng it up, Although of course it is more noticable when increasing the volume, respectively.

Is it distorted when the volume is in transit?

if so with the unit off cycle the volume knob back and forth several times (from start to stop) reset the volume to start and adjust. I have a Yamaha 995 and it'll crackle every so often after that workout it's okay. Something to do with the volume pot? It was mentioned here months ago.

hope this fixes it.