deltas in KHorn vintage?

kjohnsonhp

Is there a big sonic difference in KHorns from the 70's, 80's and 90's? Would you pay notably more for certain years than others?

I'm familiar with the changes over the years with the Cornwalls (x-overs, metal to plastic, tweeters, etc.). I assume it's the same for KHorns but would a more recent pair be notably less/more desirable than a 1970's?

Save the 60's & 50's discussion for later.

A fair price seems to be $2K +/- depending on condition and wood. Would you swing the price based on year alone?

Summer seems to be a buyer's market with KHorns seem selling under $2k.

There might be a few here with Gold Reference ears and lots of Klipschorn vintages to compare. I would defer to them for sonic differences.

Sentimentally, I prefer the earlier years (60's and 70's) for their alnico magnets and slightly aged appearance (like me). I've also grown to love the "C" style cabinet (no "neck" between the bass and HF sections) over the "B". I'm not sure why because I initially wanted it the other way around. Maybe they appear just a little shorter, compact and less imposing.

I'd take any version, any year and be very pleased. A few mods are occasionally necessary (like a p-trap for a honking squawker) but these are minor compared to the unparalleled dynamics that these corner speakers produce.

They FILL -- REPEAT, FILL -- A ROOM WITH MUSIC. I don't how better to describe it.