dusted off the '84 Carver C500 -- "heavy metal"

I'm sure many are cringing with the thought of 80's Carver iron and Klipsch Cornwalls, but I'm bring the iron giant out of retirement for some comparisons to the Dynaco ST-70 and Outlaw 1050. I ran Cornwalls and the C500 High Slew Rate amp (35lbs, 250w/ch <.003 at "normal listening levels") in college and later an M1.5 but more recently an ST-70.

The brushed sliver faced C500 w/LED power meters is notabally bigger and more industrial than the M1.5 and "cube" amp which came out right after.

I bought my C500 from the Carver rep in Shrewsberry, MASS at a Tweeter store and the Serial Number is 00010. I have an old college roommate with another copy purchased at the same time. I've seen this amp sell at the BIN price of $500 recently on ebay. It seems to be much harder to find than the later m1.0 and m1.5.

I think it will be fun to compare the Outlaw 1050, Dynaco ST-70, and C500 which seem to be three different segments of amplification options. The C500 sure seems like power overkill (the power meter certainly isn't getting a workout).

Unless the Scott 355 tube/C500 SS combo surprises me the C500 may be deployed as a sub-amp bridged to 500w mono for an SVS CS Ultra. Regardless it's a cool hunk of metal with big transformer, metal face, and giant metal cooling fins.