new digital-amp receivers from Sony

jdm56

Sony is bringing out a new line of ES receivers. In fact the bottom model is available now at Crutchfield, and I've seen the bottom two models on the J&R website. At least some of the top models in the new line (STR-DA3000ES, 5000ES and 7000ES) have "digital drive" amplifiers which I assume are indeed digital, or "switching" amplifiers. Is this correct? And, is it just me or does there appear to be a bit of a trend towards digital amplification in the "mass-market" A/V receiver category, what with Harmon-Kardon's and Panasonic's digital offerings of late?

And speaking of the H-K digital receivers, what's up with their on again / off again appearances on the Crutchfield site? Has anybody else noticed that?

One more question: Do digital amps have a signature sound? I've never heard one myself.

Really the last question: How in the heck does Sony reconcile analog-out only SACD with digitally amped receivers? Is that moronic or what?14.gif

I do recall a very positive review of a $10,000 Sharp digital amplifier, that appeared in Stereophile a while back. For 10k, I guess it ought to be good.6.gif

Sony hat tricks? Come now, you know Sony is only interested in advancing the state of sound reproduction for discriminating audiophiles!2.gif

H-K has had a couple of digitally amplified A/V receivers that have been playing "now you see me; now you don't" on the Crutchfield website over the past few months. Hence, my question. My presumption was that perhaps they were having some problems with them, but I don't know.

Sow how does Tri-Path digital amp "sound"?

Well they dont really have a sound. Do a search in 2 channel on tripath. Leok has done extensive work with them. He suggests some mods to the eval boards for better sound. I am just running them as they came from the factory, since I am an ME and am electronically challenged. I use them for background music during the week. For serious listening I use a 300B SET for the HF and a Rowland 5 for the LF. I think that that sounds better but not by much. Idle power is 0.6 watts. At 100 db, using 288s on 1005s and 515Bs in 828 cabinets, I see maybe 2.4 watts draw.

Jim