Audiogon PAT 5 preamplifier

This might be of interest to any of you who think a little audio electronics building might be fun. It would also be taking a step into Dynaco history, all the more important now with recent sad events concerning David Hafler. I very much wanted to buy this preamplifier, which is an unbuilt kit -- fantastic find! I had been using a PAT 4 preamplifier with my system, but one channel has gone out on it -- actually just an intermittent balance control problem I'm too lazy to work on, and because I have other things in the works right now. It is a solid state unit, which may be an issue with some. For me, I just loved the way it sounded. It has a very low output impedance, and is a moderate gain design. The PAT 4 was also very quiet with these crazily sensitive speakers, which was a welcome quality.

I REALLY, REALLY wanted to buy this thing, and the seller is a great guy who was willing to let me put it on lay-away. I just couldn't afford sending his $350 outright.

This PAT 5 is brand new and still needs to be built. It has an upgrade: Gold plated jacks (AVA, Van Alstine) RCAs have been installed, otherwise it is totally stock. I wish I could buy it....I was very interested in it

8.gif.

These preamps are incredibly good -- of course just my opinion. But what a great project it would be! That was part of the fun, for sure! I just thought someone here might be interested. The PAT 5 also has a number of useful features. It's listed in the SS preamplifier dept. on Audiogon.

Erik