RF-3 Mods

JeremyM1980

I'm in the middle of planning some RF-3 mods, such as rebuilding the crossovers, oak veneer and trim, etc. I have some questions, though. smile.gif

I've read lots of posts about people using Dynamat. Should I just put this stuff on everything inside the cabinet? ( magnets, woofer baskets, internal horn surface, outside of port tube, cabinet walls?)

I've also been thinking about getting rid of the grills. The tweeter is pretty well protected, but I want to cover the woofers. Does anyone know if metal waffle grills or wire mesh grills are wise to use? Will they affect the sound at all? Which would be better to use?

I'd also like to hear from anyone at all who rebuilt their own RF-3 crossovers, or anyone who has used Solen fast-caps or North Creek Music's Harmony and Crescendo Bypass Caps.

OK, one more. For the crossover inductors, I'm going with Solen solid air core 12ga for the low pass and Solen Litz air core 14ga for the high pass. Does this sound OK?

Thanks for all the help! This probably wouldn't have been possible without this forum! smile.gif

• 5 months later...