no signal on rear sat

hocuz

Hi all. I have had my 4.1s for a little over a year and they have been working fine, until tonight. I was listening to some music when I noticed that the rear right sat was not working. I tried playing around with the speaker plug and tried switching the sat to another position but it always came out the the plug was not working. Then, I tried switching the speaker wire to another position and that worked, which leads me to the conclusion that the output in the sub box is not working for that particular position, which is for the rear right.

All the other channels including the sub works fine, except for the rear right. Does anyone have any idea as to what or how I should be able to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly enough, I'm having pretty much the same problem. I had mine for about 6 months now and suddenly today I noticed that my front left sat is not working. I switched it around with the other sats and the problem remains, so its not a problem with the sat. I'm not sure if its a software error or what. It doesn't look like the outlet is dirty or rusty or anything. I tried removing and putting it back a bunch of times. Not sure what's wrong with it.

*sigh* I'm having the exact same problem with the rear right sat not working properly. I'm hoping that it could be the pre-amp that could be going out on me, as I'm not sure what else it could be. Audigy 2 seems to be working fine, as I don't have any problems when I plug in my headphone's into the front/rear jacks. One thing that I did note, least which made it a bit difficult to understand, is when I unplug the rear speakers from the jack on my sound card and plug my front speakers in, sounds works properly (which led me to believe it isn't the sound card going out on me). However, when I plug the rear speakers back in, the sounds works properly once again. Now here is the strange part. I don't think I ever noticed the rear right channel not working while playing a game or listening to music, but after I stopped and swapped over to a different application (ie stopped playing a game and started to listen to music) the rear right sat would suddenly stop working. If I listen carefully, though, I am able to hear static coming through the speaker and what appears to be the audio, albeit very distorted/low. Once again, however, I'm able to swap the front/rear jacks on my sound card and everything appears normal. After running through numerous tests, I've concluded that I believe it is the pre-amp that's causing me problems, so I decided to buy a new one (I have the original v.400, so replacing it with the newer vers. the 4.1's have). I sincerely hope my assumptions aren't wrong, otherwise I would have spent another 100 bucks for broken equipment (also bought the monster cable for this set, as I needed longer cables). :( If anyone experienced a similar issue and has some sort of workaround/fix... I'd be greatly appreciative if you would kindly share. :)

I've been having the same problem with my 4.1's for a year or so now. I finally tracked the problem down to the preamp connector in the subwoofer. I don't think it's the preamp itself, or the connector on the cord. I can press mine over to one side and it will suddenly power the missing channel. Not exactly sure how to resolve this. Anyone have any ideas?

Brian

• 3 months later...

The first time I had this problem with my front left sat, I solved it by just jiggling the connectors around a little bit. They weren't rusty or anything, just needed some moving around. The second time I had this problem was with me left rear sat. This time I solved it by jiggling the preamp INPUT (the "DIN connector") around a little bit. Each time it took me the better part of 2 hours to track down the problem. Phew. Hope that helps someone else.