P-Trap in the Cornwalls?

J HARRIS,

If you search for P-Trap in Updating Older Speakers you should find a post I made 3/27/01. There is some discussion concerning the P-Trap and the Cornwalls.

The trap works for the K55V Atlas driver only. If you're not sure which one you have you'll have to open up your Cornwall's to find out. While you have them open jot down the model of tweeter, squawker, woofer and crossover both have. This is important because you never know when someone has swapped out a part that is not meant for that model speaker. Than the bug will bite and you'll be on your way to tweaking. BTW Al K has designed new crossovers for Cornwalls, if you're interested check out his website.

Jim L

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do intend on building Al's crossover (I have the K-55-V's), but it's going to take a while to get the parts. I thought I'd build a P-Trap with cheap parts to tide me over.

So it's a 0.1mh coil and a 3uf cap, in parallel, wired in series with the + terminal of the squawker? Do they go right after the input on the barrier strip?

Thanks!

J!

J HARRIS,

You can use cheaper parts, but you will only have to order higher quality parts later on. As previously discussed on this issue the parts you should not scrimp on are the ones used in the trap. I highly recommend the Solen .10 mH Hepta-Litz inductors with the North Creek Music capacitors. I chose the combination of 2.0 uF Zen with a 1.0 uF Crescendo By-Pass and find it works quite well. However there are a number of combinations they offer, you're only limited by how much you want to spend.

I wired my traps in between the terminal block and the squawker on the + terminal. May be different with your network though. Mine are the E network. Al K is more of an authority on the Cornwall's maybe he can shed some light on this. He posted an answer to this very question last year, however I didn't print it out and those threads have long since been deleted. I believe he suggested a different configuration, but I can't remember the exact procedure.

Hope this helps out some.

Jim L

J Harris,

Cool! I don't think you'll need a P-Trap with the Al K crossovers. From all of the other posts concerning Al K's crossovers he's had rave reviews on how much better they make the speakers sound. Good luck with the construction and post your results when you finally get them installed.

Jim L