RCA Red Seal 24/96 High Performance CDs

soundog

I read the thread below about DVD-A and SACDs and their future. I ran across another factor in the mix. RCA Red Seal/ BMG has remastered some of their best old classical recordings in a high performance format that has a 24 bity resolution and a 96 kHz sampling rate. They claim that with their "newly developed 'down-sampling' software" that these recordings "can deliver many of the audible benefits of 24/96 to the current 16/44.1 cd players".

My experience with the several I purchased is that they are very good but I don't have any identical cds, sacds or LPs to compare them to. Anyone had experience with this product?

As far as I know these recordings were supposed to continue the Living Stereo series/success. But like with those, some are good and some not really worth the company's hype. Of the five CDs I own I like the Boston Leinsdorf -Bartok/Kodály disc and the Boston Leinsdorf Mahler 3rd. I cannot really comment on the two Horowitz discs (Rachmaninoff No.3 /Horowitz at the Met) as I have never heard a different issue. The Rach. is okay, but I have always been more interested in the performance, less in the sonics. The Ormandy-Philadelphia -Shostakovich No. 15 I find not worth the money (in terms of interpretation and sonics). I think the first two discs mentioned above were also favourably mentioned in TAS (though this in itself might not convince everybody). The rest of the series I don't know, so I'd purchase due to possible artistic value and not necessarily sonics.

Wolfram