HT options for a Barn (or really big room)

RickRichardson

I have a friend who has asked me to help him figure out how to set up a HT system the dream house he is now building, which is based on a Barn. Yes, a barn. He bought all the lumber from an old barn and is using it to build his house. The HT is going to go into his Great Room which is about 36' X 40' with the ceiling ranging from 14' to 27'. I calculate the volume at about 25,000 cubic feet. There are rafters crossing in 27' peak area that will be at about 17' (possible locations for side surround speakers). He wants to put the TV in one corner and have a main viewing area about 15' away, which is about a third of the distance to the opposite corner. It looks like a 5.1 set up rather than a 7.1, because the rear speakers would be so far back and, due to style considerations, could not be located symetrically.

My friend wants a system that looks and sounds good and is easy to use. He also wants to make sure it does not detract from the overall look of the room. So this means L & R speakers will problably not be able to be out into the room, but rather flush with the cabinets to be built on either side of the TV. I have suggested he build room for the speakers, but have to front open and have the speakers resting on the floor, which will be concrete.

Many people have suggested Klipsch speakers for such an application and I am thinking of the following combination:

RF-7 L & R

RC-7 Center

RB-75 Side Surrounds

SVS PB-2 Subwoofer

I would like to get any input or ideas on this setup as to:

1. Are these good choices of Klipsch speakers for such an application?

2. I am thinking of a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver because of the automated set up and 130 watts per channel. Is this receiver a good match for the Klipsch speakers in terms of sound quality? Also, is that sufficient power? Would 100 watts be enough, like some of the newer Pioneer receivers, like the VSX-55TXi?

3. Any experience with how the SVS PB-2 sub will blend with the RF-7's?

Thanks in advance for your imput.

Dude! I quite possibly have your solution! (I was just about to post an inquiry in general topics about this.) I have a set of five matching LaScalas. They were intended for use in a 5.1 system in a large Great Room such as you have described. Unfortunately, both my job and my housing plans changed-- so I put them in storage for the past year.

Here's the kicker-- they're BRAND NEW! (I never uncrated them after delivery-- the cartons are still sealed!) Four of the five have sequential serial #s; all are finished in high gloss Piano Black Lacquer, without grill cloth.

I intend to make some inquiries as to what I should ask for them. I know that new Retail is apprx. $2k each. I also know that I had to wait six months for delivery of mine.

However, the chance to sell all five as a set would be a highly motivating factor on my part!

Shoot me a PM or e-mail if interested--