preamp suggestions please

Kek

pre_sel.jpg

What is the price difference? Are you married to just those two? IF between those two, I would opt for the Cary SLP-98 for the POINT TO POINT WIRING, better parts, and the drop dead looks (it loos better with the black face in some ways). I happen to like Cary preamps perhaps even better than many of their amps. The SLP-98 is a refined version of the AES/CARY AE-1, taken to a higher level with better parts. The Rogue Magnum also uses 6SN7s but is on a circuit board (not awlays bad per say) but uses clips instead of solder in places and doesnt have the exposed tubes. On another level, it does have a mono switch and a mute, although I believe the Cary has a standby, which is absent on the Rogue.

I think the Cary SLP-98 actually has Jensen Oil coupling caps while the Rogue 99 Magnum has film/foils, not a bad thing, but I really dig the Jensen Copper Oils in preamps. I think both employ the Vishay/DALE resistors, a pretty good selection.

On the other hand, another cheaper option and a GREAT bargain is the USED AES AE-3 DJH which is also 6SN7 but does employ a tube rectifier (a plus in my opinion). This unit is not as refined looking as the others but is a great sounding preamp and an excellent buy USED. You see them on Audiogon and even ebay every once in awhile.

I happen to have a 6SL7/6SN7 Cary SLP-70 which is the only other octal preamp they made in the Cary division besides the 98. It's been a GREAT preamp. I cant say enough about these octal pres.

I would take both home if possible and listen with your system. This is the final nut and what ultimately needs to be done for a good decision. Keep an eye out for a used AE-3 DJH as well. When it comes right down to it, I dont think you can go wrong with any of those choices. You might have some monitary differences but they all will provide great sound in the right system.

kh

ps- I really like the octal tube preamps with solid state. It really is a good combination; I ran 5692/5692 with some 200w Monoblocks with very good results. I cant even stomach solid state amps at all without a tube pre. Passive doesnt do it either. Right at this moment, I am running a 6w Tripath Digital design made by a forum member, this being driven by the octal based modified CARY.