Quintets as Stereo Center Channel ??

BigSkyAF

I'm in the process of switching center channel speakers (don't like the way my old one sits on my TV) and am looking for a little advice. I'm using the Yamaha DSP-A1 amp which has the connections for stereo center channel. I'm considering using a pair of the Quintet satellite/surrounds and putting one on each side of the TV (probably set back a bit).

I've never heard these speakers and am just checking to see if anyone has any thoughts about using them as a stereo center channel.

I have Chorus IIs on the front and RS7s in the back. I've been looking for the new RSX5s, but can't find a place that will mail them to me at an APO address (U.S. postage, but military overseas).

If I do get the Quintets, I'll also need floor stands. Any recommendations?

Thanks. - Mike

Honestly, the Quintets will make miserable center speakers when paired with Chorus mains. On their own, and in a complete Quintet system, they are fine. But when you hear them next to the Chorus, even for HT use, I believe you'll pale at the mismatch of sound. I believe you will not like the outcome.

Additionally, my concerns over setting them on either side of the TV and back from the front are that you may lose some of the "anchoring" effect of centering the center channel on the screen and that the sides of the TV will cause inappropriate separation of the stereo image which may add to that loss of anchoring, plus reflections of sound off the TV cabinet.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

Kinda late to the discussion, but I have two quintets set up in series as my center. They don't really do the trick. They sound OK for some 5.1 channel music, but on DVD's the dialogue is usually lost in the output from the pair of rf-3's used as the fronts. I'm probably going to go with the rc-25 or rc-35. The going price for the rc-25 is about $200. I have a 20X15' room, so the rc-25 will probably do. Might make the jump and go with the rc-7 if I find it for a good price though!