Rotel RMB-1075 impressions

damonrpayne

Driven by various "issues" with HK receiver, I decided to go separates; after doing some listening and cost analysis decided to go with Rotel. Since I can use the HK as a preprocessor the first step was getting an amp: given my needs the RMB-1075 was the choice. 125watts per channel times five channels.

As far as the sound, I guess I have half buzzwords and half original observation. The sound is more "dynamic" and "powerful" and "in my face" than the HK by itself. In addition to those aspects, the sound seems to have more presence and body. Its hard to explain what I mean by this, but it is sort of like the difference between the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks on LOTR. DTS always seemed to have a lot more background soundtrack in the rear channels, people speaking, ambient noise,etc. The Rotel amp has brought these qualities forward from the DD soundtracks I didn't think had them. This is a good thing. I cannot tell any improvement in imaging yet, but I have only done limited listening so far. The sound is not too bright, or muddy, nor does it have anything I would consider a negative characteristic or "coloring" factor.

For $1,000 I would definately recommend this amp for anyone wanting to get away from receivers and into the world of separates. Right now it is good for a big power boost compared to the reciever's output, and will be good for another improvement in sound character when I get the matching receiver later this year.

Pics coming tonight...

----------------

On 10/8/2003 1:52:23 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Driven by various "issues" with HK receiver, I decided to go separates; after doing some listening and cost analysis decided to go with Rotel. Since I can use the HK as a preprocessor the first step was getting an amp: given my needs the RMB-1075 was the choice. 125watts per channel times five channels.

As far as the sound, I guess I have half buzzwords and half original observation. The sound is more "dynamic" and "powerful" and "in my face" than the HK by itself. In addition to those aspects, the sound seems to have more presence and body. Its hard to explain what I mean by this, but it is sort of like the difference between the Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks on LOTR. DTS always seemed to have a lot more background soundtrack in the rear channels, people speaking, ambient noise,etc. The Rotel amp has brought these qualities forward from the DD soundtracks I didn't think had them. This is a good thing. I cannot tell any improvement in imaging yet, but I have only done limited listening so far. The sound is not too bright, or muddy, nor does it have anything I would consider a negative characteristic or "coloring" factor.

For $1,000 I would definately recommend this amp for anyone wanting to get away from receivers and into the world of separates. Right now it is good for a big power boost compared to the reciever's output, and will be good for another improvement in sound character when I get the matching receiver later this year.

Pics coming tonight...

----------------

Where did you buy it from? My father is thinking of getting the rotel 200x5 amp. He is also looking at the outlaw amps. I am glad you like the new buy.

I bought it from Audio Emporium in brown deer, the next closest dealer is madison. They are very knowledgeable but won't deal on price unless you buy more than one thing. The 200x5 is $2000 and is supposed to be quite a nice amp. Now I just need to scrape together the $$ for the preprocessor asap.

nice review

easylistnener

i think he is using the h/k as a pre/pro

hey damon

i know the avr 7200 has some gen. issues. how is your reciever conencted in the amp as a pre/pro? further explain your connections. coz ive read that the avr 7200 have some issues on the 6-8 analog input.

give us info on how your set up is connected

----------------

On 10/9/2003 5:40:45 PM danechristian wrote:

nice review

easylistnener

i think he is using the h/k as a pre/pro

hey damon

i know the avr 7200 has some gen. issues. how is your reciever conencted in the amp as a pre/pro? further explain your connections. coz ive read that the avr 7200 have some issues on the 6-8 analog input.

give us info on how your set up is connected

----------------

First off read, I said what pre/pro are you thinking of getting. I didn't say what are you using!

easylistener: I am thinking of getting the Rotel RSP-1066. Its not as flashy as many others but I've only got so much $$. Its $1500. I guess I could look into Outlaw, I'll probably make a post later requesting comments on outlaw preprocessors.

Connections: I am using the HK AVR 325 as the pre/pro. It is connected to the amp via high quality RCA plugs going from the receiver's pre-amp out into the Rotel's inputs. The audio connection is a monster fiber optic cable, speakers are all hooked up with banana plugs.