I need a sub!

oogins

I'm looking for a new sub to go with my system. I'm currently using a Sony 60 watt mini-sub (sad, ain't it?) 'cause it was all that I had at the time. I'm using the Quintets with a Denon 3801 and it is hooked up to my computer. I'm using this system as my computer speakers (a lot better than the ProMedia 4.1, which is what my friend has), and it adds great excitment to my gaming and dvd watching. All I need is a TV and I would have a home theater right in my bedroom (Wouldn't that make my parents proud).

Anywho, I've been thinking about getting a Klipsch sub to match my speakers. The problem is that I can't decide between the KSW-12 and 15. I don't want a 10 because I like a lot of bass and I've heard many people say that it just isn't powerful enough. The size of my room is 12'x12'.

I haven't had a chance to demo any of the subs because we live an hour and a half from the closest Klipsch dealer, and my parents won't let me drive that far by myself (Keep in mind, I'm only 16). However, my dad is taking me into the city next Saturday, so I'll get a chance to demo them then, and that's probably when I'll buy too. I'm sure after I demo them that I'll be able to decide, but I would kinda like to have some feedback and suggestions from you guys.

This message has been edited by oogins on 05-30-2001 at 02:18 AM

Guest JimG

Well, with Quintets, my gut reaction would be that the 15 is too much sub. However, upon further thought, the 15 has a much flatter frequency response than does the 12 so you might find it better for music. It also plays a lot lower at much higher levels than the 12 is capable of playing. Also, if, I mean WHEN Biggrin.gif you upgrade to larger speakers you'll have the bigger sub to go with them. (I'm assuming that owning a 3801 means you'll eventually have bigger speakers.) Also, you can always turn the bass down, but you can't always turn it up. That being said, the downside is that the 15 lists for $750 while the 12 lists for only $500. You should be able to find either of them for less money though. Ultimately, since either will be plenty for your size room, buy the one you like best. Hope this helps.

Jim

Being a bass guitar man that i am, i could suggust geting either a 15/2x15 cabinet, and having it run by your amp (look used, its cheeper). or, if you want a powered sub, go for taking the woofer line out and pluging it into a guitar/bass combo amp or head (preferably a head, or if your tricky, a rack mounted system could be fun to toy with). I think that this would be cost effective because i got my bass rig used, and it cost under 500$... 2 15" cones, and 400 watts with 9 band eq shelving for high/low, etc... and if your tempted, almost all amp heads have a line patch or a crossover, so you coud send more to another woofer (at different frequency crosses). You can do fun stuff with it. to add to it, you can get a guitar or bass and plug it in if your ever intrested (guitar works on bass amps, bass doesnt work on guitar amps)

how often do you see a woofer with an eq?