RS-25 & RS-35 Specs

ntn1

Hi,

I appreciate much if Klipsch or someone here can explain the following:

1/ With 6.5" woofer, how could the RS-35 not go as low as the RS-25 with just a 5.25" woofer? (81Hz for the RS-35 vs. 79Hz for the RS-25). It doesn't make sense.

2/ Why is the continuous power rating of the RS-25 only 75W? It seems very low compared to the rest of the "matching" -15 or -25 system.

Thx.

One man's opinion :)

1) It isn't just the size of the driver that determines the freq response. It's the size of the cabinet and the system as a whole (system being the speaker box, the crossover, the drivers, etc...). That's why it's possible for a 10" subwoofer to play lower than a 12" subwoofer. In the case of the RS-25 and RS-35, you're only talking about 2hz though.

2) Continuous power rating is a rather meaningless measurement. What human could stand to listen to the output of 75 watts continuously into ANY Klipsch speaker? IOW, are you concerned that 75 watts max continuous won't give you the volume you're looking for?

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for replying.

I have the Adcom 7400 5x100W amp. I realize that the average power level that we listen to is around 3-10W, while transients could be hundreds of Watts. Technically, the Adcom could blow the RS-25 if the volume is set high enough by accident.

I wanted to get the RS-25 due to my limit budget at this time, but I think I'll have to wait and save a little more for the RS-35. I wish the RS-25 could handle 100W just to be safe.

NTN

Bear in mind that it is more likely to damage a speaker with a low powered amp than with a high powered one. That low power amp, run into clipping will quickly damage speakers whereas the big amp will not clip till the volume is very high and is therefore less likely to cause problems. Continuous power handling is just what it says, continuous. Musical program material is not continuous. Thus, you have quite a margin of safety unless playing test tones.

as far as the freq. response...notice that the 35 is rated at 97db effeciency and the 25 is 96db. the increase in sensitivity usually decreases the frequency range, but the bigger drivers help keep it down just as low. the difference between 79Hz and 81Hz is extremely small, and in the application of surround sound material, your speakers won't need that low of output. there's more to it than just that, but it helps explain the difference in response.

as far as watts go, 100 will take you to around 115db which you will prob never achieve.

all that to say, i would be comfortable using the 25's in your system, but i don't think you'll be dissapointed if you wait to affard the 35's. It's always better to wait a bit and make a better purchase, because then you can live with it longer 2.gif (thus saving money in the long run).

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed -- especially the waiting on RS-35's as opposed to 25's. In my experience, one Klipsch product sounds good until you listen to the model above it (I've listened to the rs-25's and 35's comparatively) and, in my opinion, the case is such. Similar to how the sound gets much fuller and lifelike moving from the rf-25 to rf-35 to rf-5, I think that the RS-35 brings a lot more to the table compared to the rs25 than the specifications manifest.

Thank you everyone.

I have stretched my budget, and just ordered a set of Klipsch speakers for my Sony 34XBR910 HDTV setup:

Main: RF-25 x 2

Center: RC-35 x 1

Surround: RS-35 x 2

Sub: RW-12 x 1

I'll drive these with Sony SDP-EP9ES DD5.1 pre/pro, and Adcom 7400 5x100W amp. I'll post picture after I have everything in place.