Promedia v.2-400 = Slow Death!

Donnie Darko

I just sent this to tech support, but I wanted to hear what the people here thought.

I have a set of Promedia v.2-400 speakers from a couple of years ago with the old pre-amp (no off switch, no headphone jack).

1.] For the past year, I've experienced the volume adjustment scratching (you know what this is). But never too annoying or troubling.

2.] Two weeks ago, one of my rear satellites stopped working. I exchanged it with the other satellites of mine and it refused to work from any connection.

3.] A week ago, another rear satellite stopped working.

4.] Last night, one of the front satellites stopped working.

5.] I now have a 1.1 going right now, as the only speakers that still produce sound are the main preamp right-front satellite and the subwoofer.

QUESTION : Has this happened to other v.2-400 owners? And if so, could it possibly be anything less serious than permanently blown satellites? Moving/exchanging the satellites around doesn't seem to help. I haven't rewired anything yet. Could it be a pre-amp problem? Interestingly, now that I'm down to 1.1, there's no volume scratching anymore. Sound familiar?

Hoping to find a solution other than a cost-filled full replacement. Oh no!

Thanks.

-Donnie

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes have had problems with speakers going out, and normally I find that if I giggle the volume control knobs around, they will start working again.

I know my rear speakers wont work anymore unless the Surround knob is pressed way down, so I just stuck a piece of paper in it to keep it there. My left front speaker also started acting up, but changing the volume setting or wiggling the Main Volume knob will usually fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the bright side you have the world's first Klipsch PRO Media 1.1! LOL Now fourty years ago this would be a kicking system.

The amp is going,I would e-mail Klipsch and inquire about the repair fee.If its within reason(under $60)and your speakers are in good shape(beside the amp problem)it may be worth a repair.

Your scratching volume is the result of use over time,some contact cleaner will resolve this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont have the exact model as you but i've had a similar problem. The scratchiness in the volume control started about a year ago and slowly the sound quality started to degrade to the point where i pretty much shoved them in a closet and used some different speakers. Its a shame klipsch cant stand behind their product after they religously fail after a few years.