do i need Dobly decoder

catsfelix

mm.. sorry but what is DAC device and what is DTS? do they use a different decoder with Dolby? when the movie is played, can we use those 2 sound formats at once (dolby & DTS)?

if we hv a speaker that has a decoder built in (dolby, dts) and our sound card is also support it, will the sound get crash? or.. if i hv a built in decoder speaker, do i still need a sound card like Creative Audigy?

i'm so newbie that need to learn a lot .5.gif ).

ur advice will be so much appreciate 9.gif

thx

Question--

sorry but what is DAC device and what is DTS? do they use a different decoder with Dolby? when the movie is played, can we use those 2 sound formats at once (dolby & DTS)?

if we hv a speaker that has a decoder built in (dolby, dts) and our sound card is also support it, will the sound get crash? or.. if i hv a built in decoder speaker, do i still need a sound card like Creative Audigy?

DAC stands for "digital-analog-convertion". digital sound comes in the form of CDs, DVD, mp3 and midi, where analog are VCRs and cassette tapes. speakers that supports digital input will have either the SPDIF, Otical or Coaxial input. while analog speakers will use the minijacks and RCA jacks. For example if you are playing a CD on a pc using an analog speaker, then the DAC of your soundcard is in used. If you are connecting a analog device to the soundcard when you are using a digital speaker, then the ADC(analog-digital-convertion) will be used.

Dolby Digital and DTS are two difference kind of digital sound format. they are used in movies today for a more acurate and better surround sound. But DTS is much better than Dolby Digital in term of quality and accuracy. some dvd only have supports dolby digital audio while some supports both dolby digital and DTS. dolby digital and DTS is not possible to be used together and you will not wanna use it together. it'll sounds like having two source of audio playing together..argh...

since the audigy 2 supports both dolby digital and DTS, i don't see the means in buying the klipsch 5.1DD. some says the klipsch 5.1DD does improves the quality, you can buy it if you want it, it's all up to you to decide whether you wanna spend the extra bucks for the better quality. Of course you can use both 5.1DD and DTS enabled soundcard together. but the DAC on the 5.1DD will be wasted.

even if you are using a speaker with decorder, it just means that you have one more DAC in your speaker system, speakers are recieving analog signal anyway. The cables you using to connect the satalites to the amplifier are actually sending analog signal.

Sound in real-life are analog

Hope that helps you2.gif

I don't think the Audigy 2 supports DTS but the Audigy 2 ZS does. The latest full version of most DVD software players usually support all decoding formats, so you also have that too. My understanding is that the DD 5.1 is really for connectivity to devices that don't have a decoder.

o yes, guys one more thing.

is every decoder the same ? i mean, is Audigy2 decoder as good as hmm.. let say AltecLansing ADA890 or Logitech z-680?

can we rely on speaker's built in decoder? or maybe we need more high quality decoder (maybe such as Audigy or M-Audio Rev.) for a greater sound experience?

thx guys..

opps it's my mistake. i mean the Audigy 2 ZS, not the original audigy 2.

whatsup,

it's true that the 5.1DD ofers connectivity to devices, but it also offers DAC decording of DTS and dolby digital signal. The output offers on the 5.1DD are 3 pairs of RCA jack(rear, front, sub/center), for the use of analog speakers.

catsfelix,

it's not nessary to get a digital speaker for eg. ADA890 or Z680 unless you wanna plug in a DVD player directly into the speaker without the use of your soundcard. For better connectivity, get the audigy 2 ZS platinum models. They allow you to connect digital audio device(eg. PS2, DVD players) and offers DAC to the signal. plug in an analog speaker to the soundcard and there you go with DTS and dolby digital audio

• 2 months later...