confused about audio field

harddisk

I would like some assistance from all you audiophiles out there. I am a computer geek and just getting into this audio stuff. Looking to build my home theater system, this is what I have right now.

JVC 32230 TV with Component and SVideo inputs

Just moved to Dish Network and got the PVR501 digital recorder with Dolby Digital Toslink out.

Now the questions are as follows:

1. Since I have a JVC TV is it wise to buy a JVC Digital Reciever with the compulink?

2. If no to question 1, then I have a limited budget of hopefully no more than $300-$400. Looked at Yamaha, Denon, JVC, and Sony. Don't like Sony's remote, too confusing.

3. Why do I see such a price flux on the net on Denon equipment, I know a local store that sells the 2801 for 699 where I can buy it from Crazy eddies for 444, so why not buy it online??

4. What is the frequency ratings for surround and what do they mean, I am getting apples to oranges comparisons. Some say 100x5 at 1Khz and others say 100x5 at 20-20Khz? Does that mean at max power your surround is level off?

5. Don't want to buy from a box store, but do want a great price, have looked on the web and everyone is quite competitive on equipment, does anyone have a favorite place to buy?

6. Since I am on a Klipsch site, I saw a pair of KLB1.1 on ubid yesterday for $49 are they worth it as surround speakers or sats? Don't have a clue for speakers and sure that my budget will be just as tight as with the reciever!!

7. Seems that Sony's DVD players are very popular. I like the 570 with the metallic look and got a price match from Crazy Eddies for 277 is that a good price?

I sure this is just the beginning of my postings since I have so many questions. I appreciate the assistance.

harddisk-the sony dvp570d is an AWSOME dvd player!! GET IT!! we sell it, and i was impressed with its build quality, it is made in japan (not 'fabrique en malaise'), weighs about 2lbs. more than its closest similar model,and is loaded w/features! stay away from the jvc receiver, the specs that you refer to are important! when a manufacturer rates power output@ 1khz, THEY ARE CHEATING!! it takes more power to reproduce 20 to 20khz than 1khz, and movies/music run the full sound spectrum. i would be leary about a manuf. who rates their equip.@ 1khz. look for a 20hzto20khz rating, and thd% at or below .0-anything..ie:.04 or .08 thd at ?? wpc. as long as it is .0something (.00something is rare)and look for 4ohm stability.

quote:

Originally posted by harddisk:

3. Why do I see such a price flux on the net on Denon equipment, I know a local store that sells the 2801 for 699 where I can buy it from Crazy eddies for 444, so why not buy it online??

Often, sellers with seemingly "too low" prices are not authorized by the manufacturer -- "gray market." It means you may not get manufacturer warranty. Instead, they may offer their own warranty that matches the manufacturer, saying they will honor the warranty themselves (which means you have to send it to them for repair or replacement, or they will find a repair place close to you and pay the bill). However, some are legitimate authorized dealers -- they will all tell you they are. Check with the manufacturer to be sure. I don't know about Crazy Eddie's in particular, but it's worth checking out.

And it doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from a gray market source -- just that you should be aware of what you are getting in to and judge for yourself if it is worth the savings to you.

You'll get lots of help on this board from others who actually know what they are talking about Smile.gif

Doug