I dunno what to buy.

cdsang

Ok, It seems my budget is very limited. I may have 400 at the time christmas comes around to buy my parents whatever it is. Ok, My choices maybe an Onkyo 601 or Klipsch RB-15 maybe RB 25s or RW-8 or 10. I dunno about the Ref sats. Good yes, but for the price I dunno. My dad has a very old Sony reciver. Ever heard of Dolby Pro Logic? Just kidding, but it is that old. 75 watts to each front and sadly only 15 each. I let him borrow my Rebel Sats as ears and my RC-3II and he has, be easy on him, Bose as mains. Which is one reason I want to get him speakers, but I can hear how bad his Sony is threw my RC-3II. What would give the biggest improvement out of speakers, sub, or new reciver? Maybe later I can get something else.

CD

ahhhh, my dad once had bose as mains (the older bose 4.2). for the longest time my dad couldn't tell the difference between the bose and some 5ft. 90 pound floorstanders i had replaced them with...that was until (3 months later) i got him to sit down and watch a movie in surround sound (went out and bought a klipsch center to finish the setup)...all that to say, my dad's only comment was "so which are speakers the shaking the house?" 9.gif

All that to say, for those that enjoy bose...filling out the bass may be the most impactful gift you could get. At the same time though, subwoofers generally tend to be the last thing added in the order of building an HT. So if you buy him new mains, make sure they got plenty of bass so that he'll notice a difference 2.gif If not, then I might suggest a new reciever (only if you plan on helping him upgrade later on). bang for the buck though, your dad will prob like the sub the most.