Surround Placement

Mike Frankel

Hello All:

I am in the process of building an HT setup. I am going to get the Denon 3803 amp after the first of the year and it will hook up to the following speakers that I have been collecting over the last 9 months.

Fronts-Forte II

Front Center-Academy

Sub-RSW 15

Side Surrounds-RS-7

Rear Corner Surrounds-Forte II

Rear Center Surrounds-2 Academys

My room is 12 feet wide and 18 feet deep.

I have the two back Forte II's in the corners, and was going to mount the Two Rear Academys about in the center of the rear wall, about 3 feet apart. Does thatb sound right? Also, where do I mount the RS-7's? I was thing about 6 feet from the back wall. That would put them about 2/3 of the way from the front.

Any suggestions would be more than apprecitaed.

Thanks to everyone who has kind enough to help me so far, and

Happy Holidays to All!

Mike

the side surrounds need to be high up and about 1 foot behind being directly behind.

as for as your rear speakers, how big is your room? i don't wanna be a party pooper, but do you realize you have more rear speakers than front speakers?

also, how do you plan on hooking them up? i noticed that your speaker layout is asking for 8 discrete channels, but the most any reciever puts out now is 7.1 (and even that isn't totally discrete)...

what about taking out the rear corner forte's and building a dedicated 2 channel system?

however, if you've got it planned out to use all your speakers, then all the power to you...that'd be one insane setup 10.gif

as far as your rear academys...you'll want them spread out evenly along the back wall, at the same height as the RS-7's

Actually, the Denon 3803 allows for 9 speakers plus a sub to be hooked up.

There are two sets of surrounds, which I do not think function at the same time, since there are only 7 amps in the unit. My thoughts were for the RS-7's to work as the first set of surrounds and use them for movies, and the Forte II's as the second set of surrounds, for multi channel music.

So anyhow at any given time there will be 7 speakers going:

2 Fronts

Center

Either surrounds 1 or 2

2 Rear Centers

So there will be three front speakers plus the Sub and 4 Rear Speakers at any given time. Kinda even?!? 4 and 4.

Sound right. I know I am insane, but it sure will be fun!!

Thanks

Mike

eeek, sorry about that...

draw a line straight from the listening to the side wall and then go back about a foot or so. This would be a great place to mount a side surround (make sure to keep it high as well). thus, the side surrounds would be 1 foot behind directly to the side. does that make more sense?

and thx for explaining how that 'reciever + lotsa speakers' idea works...that is a very cool feature!

btw, how wide is your rear wall? I would suggest taking this distance and dividing by three, and make the rears that far apart (so they divide up the back wall evenly). and again, mount the speakers high (like a foot or 2 from the cieling, aimed at or above the listening position).

DRWHO:

Thanks for the explanation. It makes more sense now. You of course meant drawing the line from the listening position to the Wall, right?

My back wall is 12 feet long. Your idea sounds great. I will be doing all this after the new year so I will report on the results to all.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!

Mike

----------------

Thanks for the explanation. It makes more sense now. You of course meant drawing the line from the listening position to the Wall, right?

----------------

yep!

btw, my name is also mike 10.gif oh, and happy holidays to you too!

-Mike 2.gif