Bad RC3 center channel

bdmiller

I purchased a used RC3 center channel speaker for my home theater. I expected to be blown away, but the sound quality just is not great. Because this is my first klipsch speaker, and I did not have anything to compare it to, I thought that this was just the way it sounded. But after watching TV for a few hours, I began to think that there was something wrong with the speaker. The sound is harsh. S's are over pronounced almost to the point of a hiss. Maybe something got rattled loose or broken inside during shipping.

So, I did some experimenting. I removed the brackets that connect the two sets of post and hooked the speaker wire to the bottom post alone. It sounded just like before. When I hooked the wires to just the top post, there was very little sound coming out. I had to crank the amp to hear it clearly.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Anything I can try doing? My local repair shop wants $40 dollars to do a diagnostic with a $135 authorization. I only paid $150 total for the speaker.

The top posts are for the horn tweeter in the middle, whereas the bottom posts are for the woofers. Many speakers come this way. You're not going to get a lot out of just the tweeter except the extreme high end if you put a full range signal through. But since the speaker sounds the same while playing regularly as it does when you just use the bottom posts, it sounds like you have a blown or damaged tweeter.