Slow progress on the digital recording front....

maxg

The software may support 24 bit / 96 KHz recording but the hardware doesnt. I have access to 3 computers at home and the best they can manage is 48Khz - useless.

Anyway this morning I headed off to the local IT supplier and came back up one USB Soundblaster Audigy.

It has taken most of the day to get this to work at all. Despite all the logoing saying supports 24/96 all I could get was the option for 16/44.1.

Turns out that the installation instructions are garbage. It told me to plug in the unit and say no when asked to install a driver, then run the installation CD.

The problem was the computer didnt ask - it just did its own thing in the background. After several removals and re-instatllations I managed to get all the software to install and then manually changed the microsoft driver for the Creative driver. Now it is giving me the option of 96/24 for recording from the line in.

I'll take the whole lot home tonight for further play. I should, at least, be able to rip music from my vinyl rig at 94/24 into a WAV file.

Next step is to see what happens when this is recorded to a normal DVD+RW (my saviour - all mistakes can be erased!!) as an AC3 soundtrack.

All being well tomorrow I will have created my very first home 96/24 recording and be able to compare this to a normal 44.1/16 CD.

I am also very interested to see how much music I can get on a DVD. High quality and loads of space seem like a winner to my simple brain!!

Holy Cow!!!!

Included in the CD's is a "Creative DVD-Audio sampler disc" @ 96Khz/24 bit.

It plays on my computer's DVD player. Did I just score a DVD/a player???

Or is this some kind of trick??? Sounds amazing - even on the computer speakers I am using. Way better than the MP3 / CD's I have played (although I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of this is the volume of the recording).

Are DVD/a disks 96/24 or 192/??. This supports upto the former only. Will it play other DVD/a's? So many questions!!!