rebuilding an amp...

DrWho

I've got an old Sony STR-AV 1000 that blew up a while back...yet I've reason to believe that amps are still good (just the front display and some components upstream in the reciever fried...they still fry too when i short the fuse and turn it on) 2.gif

all that to say, what are the basic components required that make an amp an amp? I can find the power supply and I know what all those cables do, but where the heck are the transistors??? When I trace back from where the speaker connects, it splits off into a million things. Basically what I'm trying to do is find a place where I can input directly in front of the amps and then find/build a pre-amp so that I can adjust the volume.

Obviously I know little about actual amps (i understand all the concepts, but looking at a circuit board is way different)...best scenario would be someone around chicago that wouldn't mind teaching and maybe even helping. (Can I take you out to dinner?) If not, I would greatly appreciate websites and other sources where I might learn about SS amp building kits or just sites with diagrams.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee