New digital decoder

I have some questions about the upcoming Klipsch digital decoder:

I have a SBlive 5.1 soundcard. It can support 5.1 output, so it should be able to connect to the promedia 5.1s right? What do I need this decoder for?

Does the decoder do the same job as a soudcard?

Who should get the decoder, what features make it worth the money?

Hat.gif

• Moderators

This will all be explained when we release the product. If you have a 5.1 digital soundcard and you're only using the 5.1 speakers with it, then the decoder will not be necessary.

Stay tuned to the website for more details and announcements...

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

Amy, this seems somewhat confusing for the following reasons:

I do have the SoundBlaster Live Platinum 5.1 and yes indeed you can hook up a 5.1 "analog" set to it,and if the new Pros 5.1 come with 3 jacks to connect them as follows:

Front/L/R jack

Rear/L/R jack

Center/Sub jack

you will be able to connect them to the SBPL5.1 but in an analog configuration, not digital.

I was hoping the Klipsch Digital Decoder would plug in to the 1 digital out of the SBLP5.1 and then connect your Pros 5.1 to the KDD (Klipsch Digital Decoder) for a 5.1 Digital sound...

I guess will find out soon. txs.

That's exactly right, you can use either your sound card or the decoder to do the decoding. The only difference is the sound quality - for example when 3Dsoundsurge.com tested the midiland decoder they said that Dolby Digital decoding was better, by a "small but noticeable" margin. It all depends on how well your sound card decodes DD. Also the decoder may have additional features the sound card doesn't such as DTS decoding. In a nutshell though, the decoder and your 5.1 card will both do the same thing - although the consensus seems to be that hardware decoders are slightly better quality-wise.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

• Moderators

Yes, exactly. The main advantages to getting a digital decoder (if you already have a 5.1 digital card) is if you were interested in using the pros with a digital output device, such as a DVD player or Playstation 2... Or another advantage is you can connect several things into the decoder at one time; plus there's a remote. It just depends on how you want to use the pro's, really.

There will be much more information available when it is released, so just be patient. Smile.gif

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com