ProMedia 5.1's with upcoming nForce chipset

Pyradius

A new motherboard chipset should hit the market this fall, coming with some pretty amazing integrated audio. It supports Dolby Digital 5.1 Encoding. I am fairly new in my understanding of such technology, but it seems that you need an amplifier to take advantage of this encoding. The ProMedia 5.1's are not designed to work with an external amp, correct? Does Klipsch offer reasonably priced speakers that would take advantage of this encoding?

More on the new chipset and it's sound below...

http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/0106041/nforce-07.html#apu_the_audio_processing_unit

------------------

Pyradius

Do what I did. Get the Quintet and a receiver. Working just beautifully on my system. Digital audio and analogy audio, I have a choice, whichever I fancy at the flick of a switch. The only concern is the immediate cost, but in the long run it will be cheaper.

Obsydian,

Out of curiosity, what receiver did you get for your Quintets? I have been checking some out, and see a huge variation in price, from $300-2000. I really just want something to decode 5.1, I don't need any bells & whistles. Thanks,

-P

------------------

Pyradius

I would recommend AGAINST going with the Quintets. Compared to the Pro sats, they're better, but not THAT much better. For the same price, a much higher quality collection of bookshelf speakers can be purchased (bigger yes, better sounding, YES). I went with Acoustic Research 206HO's for the mains and rears, with a AR CS25HO for the centre, and a Sony SAWM40 for the sub. It completely blows the Quintets away, was overall cheaper (the AR speakers were discontinued, so the price was REALLY reduced), and pretty much the only disadvantage over the Quintets really is the size.

As for recievers, after looking over a few, I went with a Yamaha HTR5250. 100w x channel, and extremely clear sound, and was only about 350 USD.

What do you think about the Paradigm Cinemas? They seem a bargain at 700ish US. Also, I was looking at the Kenwood VR-509 for a receiver, but there seems to be a large selection at the 300-400 dollar price range.

------------------

Pyradius

Heh, check Audioreview.com for a nice, wide range of views and opinions.Are you 100% going with the Nforce, or would you still consider current card? I ask, because I can say from personal experience at least, that the Acoustic Edge is damn well good enough to handle MY HT setup, and should be able to handle anything in the sub 1500 dollar range (assuming, of course, that you're looking to buy an HT setup instead of one for pure music, or anything else of the sort.