Setting up Home Theater.....RCR5's? HELP

jmatth

Brand new to Home Theater systems. Definitely want in-ceiling speakers. Looking hard at the RCR5's. Any recommendations for a matching center, sub, and amp? Thinking about the 12" sub. Go with powered or w/o power? On the amps...I realize you can spend as much as you would like....not trying to break the bank! Heard that Yamaha makes a good amp for the money???? I will be putting a pair of speakers upstairs in the game room for music and the full surround sound downstairs in the den. Putting infrared and volume control throughout house. From what I have read, it appears that the RCR5 will be a good match. Any feed back or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks

I confess not a lot of product knowledge about the Architectural line of speakers. However, the ones you are considering are in the Reference family, so they should be very nice. Matching center would likely be an RC-3 (if they still make that one).

When you say sub "powered or w/o power," I assume you are looking at non-powered subs like the SVS Cylinder Series? Otherwise, they are virtually all self-powered. Since aesthetics seem to be important to you (based on your choice of flush-mount speakers), I'd go for a powered sub so you don't need the extra box and cables for an external amp.

Yamaha is good. Some say not always the best match for Klipsch, but I have no experience with them. You can also look at Denon, Outlaw, HK, and probably a few I'm forgetting at the moment.

I don't know too much about receivers just yet, but I do know an RC-3II would be a nice center to match, if you check a local goodguys, you can still find them at $157.00, picked mine up yesterday. As for a sub, you want powered for sure, unless you feel like spending a lot on an expensive amp and passive sub, you should go with something small like an SVS PB1, or if thats too much, check out the Klipsch RW line, and if thats too cheap, check out the RSW line.