Acoustic Innovations

Tom Adams

Was in Atlanta this past weekend (for a boat show - my other weakness/hobbie) and went to a HT specialty store (and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the place 7.gif ). The place had several HT rooms of varying size/price/elaboratness. One thing I found interesting was their rather limited menu of audio equipment. Didn't ask them about this, but I suppose it allows them to concentrate on the HT as a whole. Anyhow....

Two of the HT rooms were done using Acoustic Innovations' semi-custom HT stuff. I was very very impressed by what I saw. The smaller room was 12'x20' and had simple, but tasteful cloth covered side columns that not only concealed the side surrounds, but also included halogen lighting top & bottom. The fixed 92" diagonal screen was trimmed out with cloth covered panels that matched the columns. The panels to the side of the screen concealed the R&L mains and the top & bottom panels concealed the sub and center channel. I asked the salesperson what something like that cost and he said that the room as it appeared was around $4200 which included the screen and all the speakers (Triad's I think he said). The projector in that room was a Runco 510 (sweet, but expensive) and wasn't included in that $4200 price.

On the drive home the wife & I came to the conclusion that if someone wasn't "into" audio/video equipment, yet wanted a very nice, custom looking HT, this wouldn't be a bad way to go. We figured that using this package plus a projector in the $3000 range, a moderate HT reciever and DVD player; one could put together a very cool HT for $10,000. No doubt many of us here with "skills" could duplicate the panels & stuff Acoustic Innovations has, but I think what we'd spend in time & effort wouldn't yield any real savings. Like I said...I was very impressed with what I saw.

Tom