vintage SS receivers? Nikko STA-5010?

Colin

I am very impressed with my refurbished Nikko STA-5010 receiver when coupled to my classic Klipsch corner Khorns. It has a sparkling high end, fairly quiet and decently solid bottom with out plentiful negative feed-back. It is not as quick as my vintage solid-state harmon/kardon 330B receiver, but almost as enjoyable.

Does any body know about the Nikko? Does anybody know what about the old designs makes them sound so good with ultra-sensitive big ole horns?

2.gif

Hi Colin,

I have a Nikko STA-6010 that I use to drive a pair of Dynaco a-25's and the result is excellent. I have listened to the Nikko with my Heresys, and have been similarly impressed. I think that the Nikko components out there are underrated.

I read an article on AudioAsylum.com Vintage forums that says that early SS equipment emulate tube equipment since loudspeakers in that era were optimized to tube equipment. I don't know of the validity of that argument, but it offers an intriging reason why your Nikko (and mine) sound so good with the Heresys and Dynaco a-25's (which were also designed for tubes). Here is a link to that discussion:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vintage&n=2774&highlight=best+ss+amp&r=&session=

By the way, does anyone out there know the specs on the Nikko STA-6010 receiver? I cannot seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Regards,

Milton