Newbee ?'s On System Performance

jtack

Should my KLF 30's sound bassy (sp?) powered by my Harmon Kardon AVR 7000. I am new to this sound system think so I dont know a whole lot. I have the bass knob turned all the way to max and it isnt very bassy...I know that can be subjective but the 2 12 inch woofers dont even pound in and out. I put my finger on the woofers and they are vibrating but I expected them to be punching in and out. Then I got the klipsch ksw 12 and have pretty much the same problems with that and them some. First of all I have it turned all the way up and I can hear the bass coming out of it but not a whole lot. I used a y connector and that helped a little...I think there might be something wrong...I hear of most people saying, "I have my woofer set at 1/3 power, etc" I have mine turned all the way up and it isnt all that loud. Not to mention I have a total of 4 12 inch woofers in my klf 30 towers...powered by my avr 7000 which has 110 watts per channel? I went through the set up my reciever so I dont know what else to try. Also my ksw 12 rattles. I put my place my finger on the outside of the woofer ring and it goes away. I looked at the woofer and could not find any cracks or rips? Sorry for such a long post.

First check a few things like your speaker wire polarity - reverse the positive and negative wires on one speaker and not the bass level? Did it increase or decrease? Leave it at the way that it gives you the loudest bass response. You are now connected with respect to correct polarity and they are in phase. As your speakers are ported, the woofers will exhibit less motion near the port tuning frequency, as most of the sound is coming from the mass of air in the port. Above the tuning frequency, you will see that the cone motion increases quite a bit. Try playing a bass heavy cd and noting the sound. You should find that they have plenty of bass, just that they aren't as boomy as some other speakers. Your ksw12 rattles until you push on the mounting ring? Sounds like a loose screw or two, just give them a turn and see if it goes away. Hope this helps.

well it certainly sounds like something is wrong...you should be getting plenty of bass with that setup.

first off, it seems like your ksw might be faulty. do you hear a scraping sound when you push on the woofer with your finger? (with everything turned off). what does the rattle sound like?

on your reciever, are the mains set to "large"? what level do you have the crossover set to? are there any other settings that might affect bass management? any other EQ involved?

is the polarity on your speakers correct? (+ connected to + and - to - for both speakers) could the room be a factor in the lack of bass? (is it quiet in every part of the room)?

that's just about everything that came to mind that i could think of at the moment. sorry to answer your question with a bunch of questions, but there's a lot of factors that could be involved.

btw, welcome to the forum

Thank you very much for your help. The OSD for my harmon kardon the speaker level goes from -1 to 0 then from +1 to +10 I had both the left and right speakers set at +3...I then turned them up to +5...that just made them louder at a lower decible setting on the reciever. The back of my speakers have 4 connectors that are bridged, I am using the bottom set + and -...I have the positive speaker wire going to the positive on my receiver and the negative going to the negative. Also on the OSD for my reciever I have the crossover frequency set at 100 hz (it has 80,90,100) I am not sure it thats for the sub or for the towers? It is in the menu with setting up the surround, along with time delays, etc. On the back of my woofer I have it set as high as it will go on the output and I have it set at 120 for the low pass hz. (whatever that is?) It also has a phase switch that I have set at 0...the other setting is 180. When I turn the sub upside down it does not rattle at all???? I looked at the outside ring and it seems to be connected with a bunch of torx screws. I will find a torx bit and see if any of them are loose. It doesnt seem to be the hard plastic ring on the outside but the first layer of foam on the woofer itself. All I have to do to get it to stop is the put my finger on the outside foam piece when its playing and it stops? Thanks for your help and I appologize for my lack of knowledge.15.gif

"I have the crossover frequency set at 100 hz (it has 80,90,100) I am not sure it thats for the sub or for the towers?"

that's the frequency at which every lower frequency gets passed to the subwoofer as long as that channel is set to small on the reciever and as long as the reciever is not set to LF+main. in other words, it's for both the sub and the towers. it's the point between when the sub starts playing and when the mains (towers) stop.

To test your speakers, try changing the crossover frequency on the reciever down to 80, and see if it helps any. If it does, then you're going to want to find a way to set your mains to "large." What happens is that when a speaker is set to large, most recievers then send the low frequency to the mains. when set to small, it sends the signal to the sub instead. some recievers have a setting where it can be sent to both the mains and the sub (LF+Main). This is helpful for when you have a crossover on your sub and want to have more control over which frequencies the sub is playing. Your manual should be a helpful tool here.

As far as the rattling on your subwoofer, what does it sound like? does it sound scratchy? is it more like a ringing? basically, im trying to find out if your cone is rubbing on something on the inside while it moves, or if there's something loose on the inside that is just vibrating. the fact that pressure on the surround gets rid of the rattling as well as turning it upside down, leads me to believe that your voice coil might be rubbing inside the gap (the pressure and turning it upside down might be changing just slightly the angle so that it's not touching anymore). this could very quickly lead to a blown speaker, and that's no fun. btw, how hard are you pressing on the surround?

You might also want to examine the subwoofer and look for any scratches or tears in the surround, the cone, or even the dustcap. If it's not a scuffing/scraping sound, then there's not as much to worry about, but it will need to be solved 1.gif (don't mean to scare ya)