Quick - someone please stop me

Tom Adams

Just called Mark at Audio Wharehouse and he said he's got a pair of RF-5's - YIPPEE!! Oh boy-oh-boy-oh-boy I can't wait to hear them.

Wait a minute, what about that new motorcycle you're looking at Tom?

Screw-it! I'm jonesin' for another pair of Klipsch's!! Biggrin.gif

Tom Adams

LoL

Klipsch you've done good, when a guy will take your Products over a Motorcycle.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Arnt there prizes for that kind of thing?

Klipsch should get the Nobel Peace prize thing...

*female movie voice* "Klipsch.. your my hero" *while rubbing large RF-7 cones*

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

If you dont mind me asking, what kind of MotorCycle?>

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Get one of those bikes, with the extra thing on the side.

for another person to ride in... know what I am talking about?

And put a RF-3 in there, and an amp straped some where.....

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Well - for anyone who cares...I currently own one mo'sickle - a Kawasaki ZX9R. Have owned 8 bikes in my short life and have ridden since I was 12. I'll not die on a bike, might go down (again), but not die. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. As for what I'm looking at, it's a BMW R1150RT.

Ok - now for a follow-up to the RF5's. I spent almost an hour listening to them. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of my CD's and the stuff they have at the shop is rather limited (seems that the better CD's somehow sprout legs and walk off). Be that as it may, I got to listen to some traditional jazz (on Blue Note label), some decent vocals (Lyle Lovett) and some bluesy-rock courtesy of Greg Alman. The equipment was an ADCOM 2ch amp, some $1400 CD player, and a Denon 2ch reciever acting as preamp.

The jazz recordings were nice, but lacked dynamic range due to them being originally old analog recordings. Still, the RF5's transformed themselves into a sax or a trumpet or a trombone. I was especially impressed with how they handled sax & trombone. Not sure why, after all, Klipsch has been doing this for years. Still, it was nice to hear how well the speaker handled the mid & lower mid sounds of the trombone. Being a trombone player, I'm well aware of what that horn sounds like live and the RF5 delivered.

As an aside - that ADCOM ??? was a POS in it's ability to control the RF5's woofers and the result was a somewhat muddy bottom end. I told Mark that the RF3's bottom end sounded better and he said we really needed to hook up a different amp to the RF5's and that muddiness would go away. Mark opinined that they probably would sound better being driven by the Denon (so why didja hook 'em up that way Mark?? Smile.gif) Maybe next listen with my CD's.

As for vocals, the RF5 handled that very, very nicely. I thought the RF3 was good, but the RF5 is in another league. Can't imagine that a RF7 can be better. Imaging & soundstage was really good despite a less than optimal setup and we didn't move them around. I will say that they were bright, almost too bright to the point of being harsh. I think these speakers are very unforgiving to bad recordings/mixings. Mark agreed.

Overall, I was very pleased with my inital listen and look forward to another session with my music and a better amp. I can probably see a pair of these in my HT next year - maybe...read on.

Ok - now for what all you Heritage folks want to hear. When I got home, I sat down with my 20+ year old Heresy's, selected 2ch stereo on the Denon, turned off the KSW15 and gave a serious listen to several music selections that contained similar program material. And IMHO, my Heresy's passed the muster just fine being able to reproduce horns & vocals and big mids as well as what the RF5's did. The bass of the RF5 was deeper (and possibly a bit boomier) than the Heresy, but hell, I got a sub that'll take care of that thank you very much. Actually, the Heresy reminds me of a well damped Yamaha or dw kick drum versus a Premier concert bass drum. I will admit that the RF5 was more open & airy on top than the Heresy - but not by much.

Personally, I think the RF5 is an excellent speaker and would work either as a main pair in a 2ch system or in a HT system (the nod going to HT). However, they won't replace my Heresy's cause they just didn't bring anymore to the table as far as my ears are concerned. I applaud Klipsch for being able to make a two-way system that rivals the traditional 3-way. But there's just something unique about my Heresy (maybe because it's paid for? Smile.gif) and its sound. All I know is that I'd really like to have an all Heresy based HT.

So - it looks like that new mo'sickle is back in the picture. Biggrin.gif

Tom Adams