ProMedia 5.1 sound problems

ralen4

Last week, the sound from my audio system suddenly started intermittently sound muffled and cut in and out. It happens while playing games, music, logging in and out of Windows, etc. I checked all the connectors, reloaded drivers, restored the system to a fresh from the factory condition, but that didn't help. I called Falcon tech support and, while they don't service Klipsch speakers, they think it might be the subwoofer. I disconnected the speakers from the computer and turned the volume up. I heard some intermittent popping and hissing sounds. When I use headphones, the sound seems to be ok...at least for the cheap headphones I have.

Anybody have any ideas?

in my opinion the amp on the sub is going to die....

try to plug your promedias on another device like cd player or a tv.it may me a probleme when using a multi channel source on your soudcard.

you can try to play stereo sources on your pc(mp3 or audio cd) and seting your pc speaker to 2 channel on windows...

i hope you find the problem,i had promedia (2x2.1 then a 5.1) before i buy my actual system and even these small speakers sounds quite good.

Thanks for your suggestions. I contacted Klipsch and they want to RMA it. I'm a little surprised...I've only had the speakers for a year and a half...seems they would last a little longer than that. Does Klipsch have a quality control problem? They sound great but that's not a long life span...it's not like I put much wear and tear on them either.

Yes they did have a quality problem with the 5.1 systems shipped before January 13th(I believe) 2003. Or check your S/N. 03-A were the first of the fixed systems to go out. a 02-X will most likely have a short lifespan. From what I have experienced Klipsch has dealt with this problem very well. Although others have had problems years back and have had to buy another system that also blew months later. I contacted Klipsch and they sent me a new system. No problems since, although it is not hooked up at the moment :(.

I wasn't aware of the quality issue...I relied on Falcon Northwest for that. I bought it in April 2002. My serial number did start with 02-X...I have already sent it back to Klipsch and they tell me they will exchange it with a 5.1 Ultra set. They were very easy to work with...wish all the companies I dealt with were as expedient as they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just logged into this site because I just experienced the same type of failure. Mine however just cut out during a normal TV show and I can hear only a very low level Woofer input no matter what media I play, TV, CD, Movie etc. I have done all the diagnostics. What do I need to do. My series is an 02-E-0356984-C Series and I would like to know how you submitted this and who you talked to. THis is very dissappointing. I bought these under the recommendations of CNET as the best quality and sounding of Multimedia speakers. Needless to say I am dismayed at this. I have had these for little under 8 months and bought them through Best Buy.

THanks in advance.

Dale

Hello,

I just logged into this site because I just experienced the same type of failure. Mine however just cut out during a normal TV show and I can hear only a very low level Woofer input no matter what media I play, TV, CD, Movie etc. I have done all the diagnostics. What do I need to do. My series is an 02-E-0356984-C Series and I would like to know how you submitted this and who you talked to. THis is very dissappointing. I bought these under the recommendations of CNET as the best quality and sounding of Multimedia speakers. Needless to say I am dismayed at this. I have had these for little under 8 months and bought them through Best Buy.

THanks in advance.

Dale