Adcom amp and preamp on Klipsch Heritage?

FLKlipscher

An answer to a very old post. I have run an ADCOM GFA-585 2X250W powerhouse (paired with a Linn Kolektor preamp) on my Klipschorns and it sounded great. Killer bass (the kind you don't get from tubes), soundstage, dynamics, beautiful midrange, never harsh treble (all the cliché adjectives!), you could go as loud as you wanted without any signs of distortion or fatigue (not surprising with the 104 dB Khorns). Grainy? No way! The GFA-585 really made the Khorns sing. The general opinion seems to be that the older bipolar ADCOM gear is less harsh than the later MOSFET gear. There was really only one drawback: the noisefloor of the ADCOM was not low enough. The idle noise was simply too annoying for me on the Khorns. When you listened to music, no problem, but it was irritating between tracks. I don't think this is a problem for speakers with lower sensitivity (< 95 dB), though. It's a great amp, make no mistake. My father is now happily using it with his Totem Mani 2 speakers. He compared it to a rather expensive Linn power amp and it blew the Linn out of the water. Just my $0.02.

I would like to add that I believe the GFA-585 operates in class A at the levels used with the Khorns (usually < 1W), but I'm not sure...