Adcom amp and preamp on Klipsch Heritage?

FLKlipscher

Welcome to the forum!

Some more info would help, such as what Heritage & what kind of sources you will be using.

I have been using the older GFP-555 & GFA-585 with my Belle's for 13 years now, & have never been let down. I have not heard any of the newer Adcom equipment, so I can't help in that area.

Most people here will say it's too much power, but I do alot of outdoor & party music with my system. The 585 is very clean at all power levels.

Try to find a dealer that will let you try it & return if necessary.

Why would you opt for Adcom over tubed gear? I have owned earlier bipolar ADCOM in the past and although the newer MOSFET designs are probably better, I still think it the wrong option for Heritage Klipsch. A few are running some Adcom gear but to me you would see far more reward going for higher quality tube solutions.

The ADCOM preamps are ok but outclassed by a number of options in my view. IF going solid state with your amplification, I would aim more for high CLASS A biased solutions as well. They have come down in price enough in the last few years to be a valid alternative. Monarchy Audio has some good options here.

Another interesting used option that you see pop up on Audiogon every now and then is the Nelson PAss designed FORTE 4a which as a 50w CLASS A amp that sounded very musical. B&K used to mod their stuff to run higher into Class A as well, but not sure they opt for this anymore since the co restructured. Between Adcom and B&K, I thought B&K the more musical.

Another very compelling choice is the 25w CLASSE 25 amp (Class A). This is a SWEET litte SS amp too but brings some ducats. Also, the little Class A Bedini 25/25 amp was a winner.

Regardless of all the above, a quality tube preamp and amp would be a better choice. Although good results can be obtained by SS, quality tubes in the pre and amp stage REALLY bring the Heritage into their own in my view.

kh

ps- Cyclone, you would get a BIG increase in performance upgrading from that Adcom GFP-555. I was around this preamp quite a bit and it's good for the price but lacking in resolution. You running from the LAB outs?

Speaking from experience, I owned the GFP750 and the GFA5802 (along with the GCD750), and it was the worst my system ever sounded!!( I run Klipschorns) It was extremely bright..tracked down the culprit as the preamp..Adcom did indeed swap me out for another one, and although it was better..it wasn't good!

At the time, I sold the preamp and amp as a pair, and eventually sold the CD player..although it really wasn't bad at all! I went back to their older gear, the GFP565 and the GFA545II..which was a great improvement!

However, Kelly is right..I went to a tube amp (SET300B) 3 years ago, and should have a Scott 130 preamp tonight..

To my ears, tubes are the ONLY way to go with Heritage..

Steve

----------------

On 2/6/2004 2:47:52 PM mobile homeless wrote:

ps- Cyclone, you would get a BIG increase in performance upgrading from that Adcom GFP-555. I was around this preamp quite a bit and it's good for the price but lacking in resolution. You running from the LAB outs?

----------------

Yes, I do use the direct out to the amp. At times, I have also used the CD variable out to the amp. Both work very well.

Upgrades these days are not in the new budget (Kids, Cars, college...etc) so I just keep happy with what I have! BTW... I am very happy!

At the time I bought this, I also listened to the B&K stuff, & agree, it is better. But also close to 2x the price. And that was before I was offered a bigger discount on the 3 Adcom pieces together.

None taken.

I have spent over a year observing all of the nonsense in here before my first post. So I do know quite a bit more than you think I do Mr. homeless. Secondly, my opinions are not subjective at all in nature.

No offense homeless, but your condescending nature as well as your monophonic Mr. Know-it-All approach to audio is rather annoying to more than a few here. The law of averages should tell you that you cannot always be right. Try being a little more open minded and less opinionated. You might find that it is more becoming of you. 9.gif

No offense, but you apparently have not an inkling of the history or chain of events within the 2 Channel forum. Thanks for the 12 hours of positive feedback, however.

kh

Cyclone, at the time, the B&K Pro-10mc (not the Sonata version) preamp was a valid and cost effective alternative. Dont know if you got to hear that. They sell for dirt cheap now.

I am just saying you could put from $250-350 into a tube pre and be amazed at the difference in presentation, especially running your ADCOM as a power amp. Running a quality tube line stage into your Adcom will be step up in almost ever aspect. The difference will not be subtle here. IF you do get some spare ducats, it's a SERIOUS upgrade. IT will be one of the most cost effective upgrades you could do. And give the 555 to the tikes!

kh

Your subtle way with wording is duly noted. I count myself pretty foolish for wasting 10 minutes writing the above. This place is filled with a variety views, all opinions based on more or less experience. My opinion is just one more in the mix. Never stated any differently. May you have an ADCOM GFA-555 delivered to you free of charge for a lovely mix with LaScala Heritage. Here's to the music!

kh

Not sure how to say this so I'll just say it. I bought the Adcom 5802 awhile back and to be honest I listened to it for 3 days before I turned around and sold it. It just didn't sound right to me. Sounded tinny. Couldn't fig why. I used a Tandberg 3006A before and it sounded much better than the 5802 especially in the highs. I now use a McIntosh 352 which is much better than the Tandberg or Adcom. Also the Adcom runs really hot. This is just my opinion and maybe others like their Adcoms and have a much differnt opinion.

hoggy

Yeah, yeah. Go ahead, say what you will. I like so many others here are keenly aware of your ongoing antagonistic behavior. Please don't consider the masses to be so naive. Anyone that can read at 4th grade level or above is more than capable of interpreting your rather childish subliminal messages which are solely intended to infuriate and belittle others.

I for one am not amused by your one-sided opinions or your ego.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 7:41:40 PM FLKlipscher wrote:

Yeah, yeah. Go ahead, say what you will. I like so many others here are keenly aware of your ongoing antagonistic behavior. Please don't consider the masses to be so naive. Anyone that can read at 4th grade level or above is more than capable of interpreting your rather childish subliminal messages which are solely intended to infuriate and belittle others.

I for one am not amused by your one-sided opinions or your ego.

----------------

So you lurk in this place for a year without posting, and then jump in with questions, people answer, and you pounce?

This is my last post to any of your threads or comments. You make people who welcomed you feel foolish.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 7:54:31 PM FLKlipscher wrote:

I do not care at all for his pathetic condescending tones to everyone.

----------------

This is not the case at all. He's helped a lot of us and has been generous with his time and recommendations. He's helped me personally in a lot of ways beyond audio. I call him a good friend.

If that's your perception, well I guess you're entitled to it. I just find it hard to comprehend how you come in here with 15 posts and start throwing grenades. It's a bit unsettling.

Welcome anyway.

Grenades? I do not understand where you are coming from there. I am only stating my observations. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are clearly one of the few that has benefitted by the juvenilee behavior which I have been witness to.

No go have another beer. Relax for pete sake.

Thank you for the cordial welcome.

Basically all of the Klipsch Heritage series horn-based line tend to be RELENTLESSLY REVEALING and will glaringly display the shortcomings of the source gear. So if you go there, go with some quality audio gear.

Otherwise you may likely regret your choice of electronics.

DM