Center Speaker for KSP-400's Wanted

Dan Salden

I just purchased a pair of KSP-400's. The manual indicates that I should use the KSP-C6 for a center speaker. Unfortunately this speaker has been discontinued. The speaker matching chart (on the Klipsch web page) indicates RC-3's as a match, but this chart is undated--so I don't know which suggestion precedes the other. What would be the best match? I am interested if anyone has a KSP-C6 for sale or knows where I might locate one. If so, please contact me! I am currently using an SC-1, which I obtained when I bought a pair of SF-1's in December. Fortunately, at that time I also got a pair of KSP-S6's--not knowing I would upgrade so soon!! FYI I am currently testing an Integra DTR 9.1 receiver (the upgrade for the Onkyo DS989), which the dealer loaned me. If I bite :-), I may also be looking for a pair of rear effect speakers (the S6's become the surround speakers and are placed along the side of the room--according to Onkyo's manual). Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Dan, keep posting for the C6 Center, there are many floating around on this BB. You probably already got some private messages or e-mails. Good luck, I too was in the market for the C6 but I decide on the Legends KLF-20's, C7, KSW-15 and S6 surrounds. I was very impressed with the BASS form the 400's WOW. Good luck.

Thanks for your response. I was hoping that I might receive some more feedback concerning the relative merits of the KSP-C6 speaker versus the RC-3 (which is listed as the matching speaker--probably because the C6 is no longer in production). With such "rapid" turnover in regard to series "in" production and "out," it is difficult to plan a HT system. I have not heard from anyone regarding the availability of a KSP-C6. None are currently being offered on the auction block (ebay, etc.). However, I suspect that this is the way I'll go (getting the C6 over the RC-3). Of course, if I purchase the Integra DTR-9.1 receiver, I'll also have to choose rear effects speakers--using my S6's as the side surrounds. Oh, is there ever an end?!!:confused: :)

I have the 400's too. I could (and still can) get the C-6 but I wanted the Mohoganny finish--which is only on the C-7. It too is a good match--with a little timber adjustment.

I'm in CA and the Good Guys can still order me one if I want so you may be able to get one there. I've also seen them for sale around here.

I'd personnaly stay away from the RC-3? I had that one with the copper cone--and returned it for the C-7. A much beter match I thought.

The side speakers you are referring to are designed for just that--to be mounted on the sides since they are difuse radiating speakers. The new Onkyo wants two additional rear speaker for the matrix rear channel, as I recall. The new Denon 58000 is going to utilize two additional rear discrete channels--something you may want to consider. But I would think a good direct radiating speaker would be better--if they're good. THX wants di-poles so they can control the "average" home theaters sound. If you do it right, scrap the THX and go for direct radiating speakers in the rear--and sides?

I personaly think that 3 in the front and 2 in the rear is more than enough. But the speaker manufacturers--and amplifier companies--along with dts encoders would have us all believe differently--to sell more equipment?

Thanks for the comments, Drew. I finally located a KSP-C6 by canvasing Klipsch's Dealer Locator section of the BB. Along the way, I also located some KSP-S6's. So they are out there if you look hard enough. Unfortunately, I think that some dealers recognize the scarcity, and this is reflected in their tendencies to ask for manufacturer's suggested retail prices. I do want to thank all who responded to my questions. Interestingly, I never heard from anyone with Klipsch concerning C6 vs. RC-3.

I have not made a decision concerning the need for a new receiver--and if "yes," which one It seems every manufacturer has a different concept about 7-channel. The more a person asks, the more confusing it gets (not unlike the time when I first began exploring computers!). Most recently, a local installer asked why I would want something as expensive as an Integra DTR-9.1 or Yamaha RX-V1 when something less expensive would probably more than satisfy my needs. He probably has a point--I suspect many of us are "driven" by the quest for "bigger, better, and unfortunately, costlier." His suggestion was to look into a Pioneer 908 or maybe a Pioneer Elite (they have 3 EX, THX, "7-Channel" models). I am not sure what kind of 7-Channel sound is offered here. Does anyone have experience with elite Pioneers? These models are $700-2000 less expensive than the Onkyo or Yamaha (retail).

I recognize there are numerous Denon supporters on this BB. Unfortunately, I have not heard a Denon receiver (such as the 5800), and none of the dealers that I've been working with carry them. Hence, I don't have a basis for comparison. Ditto for those who suggest going the route of separate components (e.g., Sunfire). Sure it would be nice, but I don't have circa $5000 to spend, and if I did, I might prefer to look toward a HD-ready monitor (I am primarily video oriented).

Maybe this will start a new dialog on HT. Specifically, a dialog focusing not necessarily on the merits of various brand names, but rather on the issue of a good HT system versus HT system overkill. Let's face it, sometimes the decision for a heavyweight item leads to the need for 4, 5, or more other items in order to take advantage of it. I don't know about you folks out there, but I really can't afford it. My KSP-400 purchase has lead to the potential purchase of (or at least consideration of) 3 new Klipsch speakers, a new receiver, maybe a new HDTV, and possibly a progressive scan DVD! Ah,"For want of a nail...." In addition to this, I now have a "backup" HT system of SF-1's, SC-1, and KSW-100! How many homes need a Multiplex?! smile.gif

• 7 months later...