Help-- RS and LS playing together on test tones

jvcarter

I have a Yamaha rx-v1400 with the klipsch 35 reference series. My problem is that when I run the test tones(an audio set up dvd) for dolby digital 5.1 the sound for the surround right and left plays together. I have also had this same problem when running the test tones on the THX dvd menus. Strangely, when I play the test tones for DTS or the built in reciever test tones, the two play seperately and correctly. This makes me think that it might be something with my dvd player settings. Anyone have any advice??

Just got my new RF35's to complete the klipsch set and I want to get it sounding as good as possible.

PCM downmixes the DD5.1 track to two channel Dolby Surround.

Dolby Surround has a single surround channel encoded in it. So when it is processed by a matrix decoder like Dolby Pro Logic you only get a single rear channel... that is why both rear speakers were playing.

When you set it to Bitstream the DVD outputs the native DD bitstream which is then decoded by your receiver.

Shawn